Wonderful hack

N

Nazdaq

I went on a hack today and it was great, a real confidence boost. It was a bit wet out but I didn't mind at all. I trotted uphill for the first time ever and even had a little canter. No pics though as I had my camera on me but I had to hold Napoleon back behind a really lazy cob (RI told me to I wasn't allowed to go ahead :eek:) so couldn't take my hands off the reins to get pics. I love Napoleon though, he does everything I ask of him and he is my ideal build, colour and personality of pony. He has a mind of his own and isn't lazy...the perfect match. :D :D

One funny thing happened though, we got back to the yard and there was a haynet in a box next to the mounting-block (grrr stupid place to put it!) So I jumped off and Napoleon goes "ooooh..HAY!" and charges over to gobble it up, stepping fully onto my foot in the process! ARGH! "Napoleon, GET OFF!" I yelled, tapped him with my whip as he was like "duh...what?!?!" and thankfully my toe is still whole. It was so funny, and totally not Napoleon's fault at all. I love that pony. :D :D

He is a palomino with a gorgeous long mane (methinks haffy cross mayhaps?) About 14.2hh. In other but related news, when I bought jods, I got two pairs that were both 32 inch waist (same brand as well, just togs) one blue one black. The blue fit perfect and the black were unbelievably tight. Well now I have lost 23lbs and they FIT! So I rode in them for the first time today and it was great. Although my half-chaps are seriously falling off. I don't really want to have to buy new ones (Because I have a 14 inch long calf) so I was thinking should I see if my tackshop could take them in at all or do you think they won't be able to?

Will video next week's lesson. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch - your poor foot, be warned it may be a funny colour tomorrow even if it feels fine now (voice of experience speaking:rolleyes:).

Sounds you had fun. :D

Whats next week - hack or lesson?

lesson in the indoor school, video camera and tripod are all charged up and ready to go, so expect videos next Wednesday :D :D :D

sounds like you had a great time!

dont think a tack shop would take them in but maybe a tailors?

do you still have the nasty RI?

Awww I'm really pleased you had a good hack. It's deffo onwards and upwards for you now hun :D .... and WELL BLOOMIN' DONE on the weight loss :D

the foot incident was just a minor blip ... hope it's ok though :)

xxxx

Sounds brilliant and what this horsey business is all about!

Re your chaps - what about going to a cobblers - one of the good ones who do handbag repairs etc as they would have a special leather needle for the chaps.

OUCH re your tootsies - one of the hazards with hosses!

Re your chaps - as it's going to be cold for the next few months how about wearing them over legwarmers for the winter?;)
You can, as told above, get them narrowed in the Spring.

Sue

Spoil yourself and buy new ones! You've worked hard to lose that weight, so you deserve a reward. A good cobbler ought to be able to take some spare leather off the sides of your existing ones, though do balance up the cost of doing this vs the cost of buying a new pair. I doubt you'll need made-to-measure any more, so might be able to pick up an off the peg pair that fit well for about the same price as getting yours altered.

The hack sounds lovely and lots of fun. I hope you can go again soon.

thank you everyone, it was great :) Re: the chaps, cobblers is a good idea I will pop along next week and see if they can do it. Gruntfuttock, I thought I could just buy an off-the-peg pair but alas, they fit around the calf but lengthwise are too long (as most off-the-peg start at 15 inches long for the adult ones, I need 14 inch ones) I have tried 15 inch long ones on, but they come up above my knee and if I scoot them down to rest in the right place the bottom bit/strap is all flappy about and is liable to trip me up! :p :D :D

I have the same problem, sounds like my legs are about the same length as yours. I got round it by shortening the elastic strap that goes under the boot by about an inch and they fit fine now. I need new ones now as well, sadly not because my legs are thinner, but because the stupid things have worn through !

How long were you out for on your hack? This bright cold weather is really making me hate sitting in my office - I want to take the Share Mare round the fields !

hehe you should go out, I would love to just be able to hop on a pony whenever I felt like it and not just once a week. I was out for an hour, it was really great. We were in the woods, up on a hill, with a verge and then rolling fields as far as the eye could see. Lovely lush greenery studded with cows (and one cow came a bit too close and RI had to scare it off!) :D :D

Do let me know if you find some decently priced half-chaps that I don't have to alter and I will do the same if I come up with anything. :)

Here's Napoleon (all sweaty on Sunday after jumping in the showjumping comp at my RS) he's not normally got his mane plaited, it's normally left loose and long:
napoleon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, he's sweet ! He has a lovely kind face, i can see why you like him.

you should go out, I would love to just be able to hop on a pony whenever I felt like it and not just once a week

I can tell you're a student - some of us have real jobs, we can't just go swanning off to the stables whenever we feel like it ;) God, i miss being at uni...

Check out the Fuller Fillies "Huggy" chaps at Tackanory - they are cheaper than the Just Chaps "Reality" ones and they come in short/x-wide as well ! I may have found our perfect chaps, my dear !

ooooh thanks, haha yep I'm a student, but also swanning off is possible if your a writer so I hope to continue the trend after uni as well. :p :D :D

Hi Shanaz
Your hack sounded great,Im glad you enjoyed it. I like the look of Napoleon, a cheeky looking chap. My horse Caramac is a palomino but doesnt have a mane as long as Ns in fact he doesnt have one at all [hes hogged] Im looking forward to the video next week hope you have a good lesson. Good luck with the chap hunt.

Fun out hacking, isn't it!

Why not try some full chaps for the winter - I have got some tuffa suede ones and they keep my legs lovely and warm!!

hi!!!:):) glad you had a great hack. its great just to get out and have fun. we take our riding abit seriously sometimes. Napoleon is lovely, nice hight too. I can just imgaine you trotting along.

thank you everyone, I loves my Napoleon :D
I found some great half-chaps on ebay, waaaay cheaper then what I paid last time so I am really pleased. No lesson next week unfortunetely I have to do stupid focus group research for university (actually it's not stupid it's really interesting I am just annoyed I can't ride :p :D)
Soooo video is delayed another week....oh the anticipation hehe! Fingers crossed I will be able to have a lesson on the 28th.

newrider.com