Wonderful canter on the beach in Fiji

kiwigirl

Jan 27, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Well the lessons are paying off as I had the most wonderful canter on holiday in Fiji last week.

So let me ramble about it.... Arrived at this beach along the coast that I had heard did horse riding and saw a couple of horses saddled up and a couple of foals with them. Was so excited and could barely wait to get out of the car over to them.

Walked over and the Fijian man said "Would you like to go horseriding?" Yes!! It was only $10. So up on the horse I got and he preceded to lead me. I then said I was happy not to be lead and if possible would like to trot/canter. So off I went!According to my husband he was running behind me trying to keep up! So started with some trotting which felt good and then got the horse into canter and then back to trot. An amazing feeling being able to control the horse and know that it was not following another as with alot of horse trekking.

And most of all achieved the dream of cantering along a beach:D

Wow - that is fantastic! well done you. I'd love to ride on a beach! :D at least you know all those lessons are paying off! must be nice not having a RI standing near you yelling 'heels down!'..although maybe you have a better leg position than me and dont get that as much! lol.

Last edited:
So thats where you've been - sun, beaches and no work very nice.:D It sounds like you had a completely fab time:D Getting out of the RS is great anyway but to canter along a beach even better!:) Are you back to lessons now or mixing them with hacks?

I love beach riding having had my first beach ride at Studland in Dorset. 3 miles of almost deserted sand. 2 hours of heaven!

Would highly recommend it if anyone is in the area :D

That does sound lovely! I went riding on a beach in Fiji and few years back, it was beautiful, but the guide wouldn't let us do more than a walk! He said these horses only know how to walk or "run" and if we let them go we'd never stop them! Actually he seemed not to know what he was doing and I believe he was scared. Do you have any photos of your beach riding adventure? I'd love to see them!

I was going to go there but they were fully booked:(

WOW!!! Sounds fab, what was the horse like? Funny how the Fiji guy didn't check if you knew how to ride he just let you go lol! :D

It was Megan who had such a lovely canter you could have sat to it if you wanted to. Bottom horse of this link:

http://www.studlandstables.com/the-horses.htm

Have to admit that we had a bit of a blast. It was just me and a mum and daughter that also had their own horses and rider leader was the son of the owner who hadn't hacked out for a while and was riding an ex chaser so we had a fun fast ride :D

He also recommended the Great Harry Rocks ride. I'm so jealous of the varied easilly accessable terain they had at their disposal. I'll be back!

OOOhhhhhhhhhhhhh Wow, cant wait to do this, will look up Studland for the beach:D ride down dorset, for summer holidays, yippee here i COME

I was going to go there but they were fully booked:(

WOW!!! Sounds fab, what was the horse like? Funny how the Fiji guy didn't check if you knew how to ride he just let you go lol! :D

The horse was 4 years old, probably 13-14 hands ( smallest I have ridden but he Fijian guy didn't know) (also didn't know the breed) suspect it was a mixture! Horse seemed in ok condition (rode another one at one of the resorts that was a bit boney!) Wasn't well groomed thought (very matted mane!) But was lovely to ride, seemed responsive to leg and rein aids and had a lovely canter that wasn't out of control, just nice and steady with a bit of encouragement with my legs.

No the Fijians didn't seem to care about riding experience and at one point he came up to me with a stick of bamboo to use if I wanter to gallop (no thank you!) They also didn't have helmets - yes I know very bad to ride without a helmet and me being an ICU nurse should know better! I think when you are on holiday and desperate to ride all sense seems to go out the window! So here I am in shorts, jandals and know hat - very inappropriate riding attire!

That sounds like heaven! Well done.

Just got the link up of Studlands and it does look nice. However anyone else think the photo of the horse at the top of the page is weired??

His legs look really strange but Im guessing its just how the photo was taken!! :D

newrider.com