Wobblers

Wobbler

I posted recently about my 2 year old with wobbler and have been grateful to read of others in the same position. I didn't get much advice on feeding but was given steroids. Unfortunately this recent wobble got worse and worse. Last weekend he fell over and couldn't get up again. Despite hoisting and nursing we reluctantly had to make the decision on Tuesday that it was too far gone and we had to have him destroyed before he became distressed. It was the worse moment of my life.

We all love our horses like our own children, more so when we have seen them born and nurtured them. My horse's condition was severe and developing aggressively, there was nothing that could be done for him. I could have dragged him out by keeping him alone and restricted but I am glad that I chose to give him a happy, playful childhood with another youngster.

You are right about nosy busy-bodies complaining about keeping the horse though. Don't listen to them. I knew my horse and he was in no pain - just occasionally bewildered when his legs wouldn't answer

I hope I never come across this horrible distressing condition ever again. Best wishes to all of you who make the decision to give your horses a good life. It makes it harder for you in the long run, but it is definitely worthwhile.

Is there a charity researching a cure where I can make a donation in his memory?

• Sad
Reactions: Mightysacred
backaskaill - I'm so sorry to hear about you losing your wobbler, it must have been awful. My sister's horse has recently been diagnosed with wobblers. It's such a horrible condition. It's nice your horse got to run around with a companion and be as normal as possible. That is what ours is doing at the moment, like you said they aren't in pain.

Chester the Wobbler

My sister's horse has wobblers and is shortly going to Liphook for a mylegram. Fingers crossed they can find the compression and operate. I have recently joined an equine wobblers group on yahoo which is great and there is loads of information on wobblers and lots of people who have wobblers and it gives you hope. I recommend anyone who has a wobbler to join. Some of the horses are doing really well, back in work, jumping etc. Hopefully we'll have the same success with our wobbler.

I'm starting to think this may be what my 23yr old Tb has. Few weeks ago he suffered a very nasty kick to the neck. Week later I noticed him walking funny in the field, next morning I find him in opposite field cuts everywhere. He had gone over an electric fence and then a barbed wire fence. Looking at the cuts he obviously fell over the fences and went over the batrbed wire fence. Cuts all over his body and needed stitches. Now he is really unsteady walking especially coming in and out of the stable, nearly falls over. He seems to have trouble going through the door. Not to bad once out in the field but not 100%. The worst thing is my other horses are picking on him and he keeps falling over. I'm having to section him off from them and he's so unhappy.

Vet coming back tomorrow I hope its not wobblers he's lost so much weight in the last 2 weeks its so sad to see

Hi patchwork

Your poor boy! The only way of having an idea whether this is wobblers would be x rays of the neck.... though one thing i would say is that where he's been kicked it could be inflammed and therefore this would need to be gone to get a true pic.

What has your vet said?

I just wanted to say I've never heard of wobblers before reading this thread and I'm so glad people arent writing their beloved horses off because of it. It sounds an awful condition but is very interesting reading for those of us who haven't experienced wobblers. It's threads like this that makes NR internet gold.

How does the horse fall when they have wobblers? Do they just collapse or fall paralysed?

I don't think they all necessarily fall, some do and some don't - I think it's more like a drunken stagger. Some cases are more obvious than others - some appear normal but can't perform simple functions like backing up, or making tight turns without losing their balance. All wobblers have a basic lack of spatial awareness.

Patchwork - sorry to hear about your boy. Not sure a horse can develop wobblers at that age, I may be wrong but I was of the understanding that it's a neurological disorder that becomes apparent at a fairly young age. He may have nerve damage from his injury - good luck with the vet x

Thanks HorseBird. So wobblers can be due to injury ie nerve damage or can develop 'naturally' in youngsters? It sounds so sad, can't believe I havent heard of it before.

Don't think they can develop it from nerve damage or injury - I think it's a neurological disorder they're born with that may not become apparent until you start working them. I'm really not an expert on this though and may be giving you the wrong info! I'm sure there are people on here that have a much better understanding of it! I do know though that horses with wobblers don't have a riding career - their lack of balance and co-ordination makes them too dangerous.

Most cases are developed when the horse is a youngster (more often as a foal) and this is due to their development, however when it appears in older horses it is usually the result of an accident.

He's been put onto steroids today, bloods taken and vet wants to see a drastic improvement by end of the week otherwise we are talking pts. His wobbling is worse today, he can literally be walking normally then all of a sudden his legs go and he's all over the place. Very dangerous to be around as he just has no control over his movements.......... and very sad. Will wait for the blood result and to see if the steroids help

To look at him staggering about he looks like a wobbler, but I am presuming this staggering has been brought on by the nerve damage due to the kick he suffered to his neck. The blood tests are to check his liver. He has a drunken stagger most of the time. If I tie him up he cant stand still he sways. From what I'm hearing and reading its like he has the symptons of wobblers ie the swaying, falling etc but his is actually caused through nerve damage ie could be from the kick, arthritis can bring it on so I'm told I dont know. All I see is my horse wobbling all over the place and I'm at the stage I am very vary leading him in and out of the field. He's a big 16.3 Tb but has dropped weight drastically this past week and his weight problem ( he has malabsorbtion syndrome ) is another story.

Sorry but i still don't understand why he's checking the liver :eek:(

Yes wobblers is basically nerve damage - pressure on the spinal cord. (The spinal cord is the nerves that carry the signals from the brain to the legs, because of the pressure on the spinal cord or iflammation of the spinal cord these signals don't reach the legs which is why the horse wobbles, falls over etc).

Please keep us updated, really hope that things improve for your boy.

Could be!

I only know one horse with wobblers -- she lived on our hillside grazing for a few months before the owner could find something more appropriate. Against vet recommendation, the owner rode and jumped this mare. 80% the mare was fine - strange action but with a leg at each corner. 20% of the time, sadly, she was in great pain and very unstable -- she crushed a car, fell on a pony, flatted out in the mud, etc ...

Was very sad as owner was unable to find the courage to do what was best for her mare.

Strange that this thread has resurfaced as two days ago I found out that the horse I discussed last year has finally been put to sleep. It's good that the owner finally accepted the mare wasn't going to get any better, but sad of course that it had to be so.

Chester the Wobbler

My sister's horse has wobblers and is shortly going to Liphook for a mylegram. Fingers crossed they can find the compression and operate. I have recently joined an equine wobblers group on yahoo which is great and there is loads of information on wobblers and lots of people who have wobblers and it gives you hope. I recommend anyone who has a wobbler to join. Some of the horses are doing really well, back in work, jumping etc. Hopefully we'll have the same success with our wobbler.
What is the group?

newrider.com