Why is my horse an idiot?

mogadoga

Louise
Jun 13, 2005
Gateshead!
When im riding he is rushing quite alot. Fair enough its most probable that its me causing this some way. But on the lunge where he is generally so lazy you cant get it to move! hes been the same as ridden. Trot= super trot look mammy i could be a trotter/paces. Canter= id quite fancy this point to pointing. And anything else has the reaction to jump like a deer.

His teeth are due to be done and all booked up, but i dont believe its an issue with his teeth. His back/saddle are fine. Only thing thats changed is his feed. Ive added low cal.

Apart from this hes out 8+ hours a day, unlike in winter when we were stuck on alternate day turnout or none. And he was fine ridden/luinging/handling wise during this period. Why now. I know its spring and they all get a little excited but never before has he been- stupid!

Don't think of him as being stupid. Horses have their valid reasons for behaving as they do. What seems silly to you may be saving his life in his eyes: especially if you know that you have caused it/control over the cause for his behaviour!

What are you feeding him? Has anything in his routoine changed at all, i.e. less exercise, the spring grass, change of yard/bit/saddle etc. Are you certain that hsi back is fine and tack all fits fine? If his routine has changed to more turnout etc, then perhaps he will settle down into his new routine soon.

Also, has this been sudden or gradually developing behaviour? Some spooky horses have poor eyesight which makes them more inclined to spook and generally mess about as one of their main senses is no longer functioning properly.

:) Good luck

Back and saddle just been checked. Fine. Routine changed about a month and a half-2 month ago. ONLY change is the low cal. But i cant see it being that.

Like i said hes always a little bit odd at this time of year, but hes just being plain silly. Theres nothing to be scared of, no new horses etc no new sights. We do everything at around the same time. IE 7ish after work. I seriously cant pin point anything. Ive been trying but i cant figure it out!

When did you swap from winer turnout...is your grass good? Most of the horses on my yard go daft when they go on to summer grazing...some more so than others.

Is there anyone else on your yard having the same issues?

Baileys Lo-cal balancer sent my gelding off his head...there was too much protein in it for him. Is that what you are feeding?

Hey no nic, all the same. We have liverys coming and going and this hasnt even changed at the moment.
Yes its baileys low cal pop dog.

Its the same fields as winter with nothing really on them, just there out every day now and still in at night. I honestly cant think of a chnage at all bar the low cal. Ive been feeding it for hmm 3 weeks now. Hmm maybe.

Anyone else? :D

baileys low cal sent Milou sky rocketing too, I keep him on Allen and Page Ride and Relax or Quiet Mix (if I can't get the Ride and Relax), works a treat. Most standard cool mixes send Amber cookoo too so it could quite well be his feed.

It is extremely unlikely that a feed balancer has caused your horse to go loopy.
They are fed in such small volumes that they cannot be a significant energy source in your horse's diet, despite the high concentration of nutrients.
It is much more likely to be the spring grass coming through!

x

Horses don't play up for no reason, they can't speak to us so it's up to us to notice signs that may mean something is not quite right.

Apart from the teeth and tack (not just the saddle) what about his feet and body - back or muscles, it could even be you with your riding, maybe you're not sitting straight or your muscles etc may need seeing to.
Sometimes they can get viruses that make them feel underpar and these can take weeks to go.

Regards
DebO

Horses don't play up for no reason, they can't speak to us so it's up to us to notice signs that may mean something is not quite right.

Apart from the teeth and tack (not just the saddle) what about his feet and body - back or muscles, it could even be you with your riding, maybe you're not sitting straight or your muscles etc may need seeing to.
Sometimes they can get viruses that make them feel underpar and these can take weeks to go.

Regards
DebO

Other tack i use is bridle and fits fine and not even that or bit or even reins have been changed. I questioned myself frist to be honest, as i do:rolleyes: but like i said when i lunged/long lined which is normally does half asleep to be honest, he decided it would be good to throw a hissy fit.
I thought of spring grass and yes it does effect him usually, a little bit ie hes normally at this time of year more foward going, but hes just went daft, if it is the grass then why this year and not last? Hes in the same field, and nothing has been done to it, one change has occured, a horse left but that was ages ago and he didnt bother with it anyway.

Feet are due now, but there fine, well there not bad as i cant say exactly how they are, but you get me? But his feet have never been something to worry about bar a slight crack/thrush which is all fixed up!

As for muscles, physio checked. Hes fine. I had this done about 2 months ago followed by my saddle checked.
I really want my RI to come out, but the surface in the indoor is a bit slippy so we are happy plodding around atm but not having a lesson. And i cant get anywhere else at the moment. Oh we will have fun at the show next weekend :cool:

The one thing like i say hes due is his teeth but i honestly dont think this will be an issue, time will tell i suppose. x

If everything is fine, then perhaps you are right with regards to the grass.
You know you can never be sure that the grass is the same year in year out, especially with our weird climate lately.

Years ago when my pony used to get laminitis in the spring, one year he actually got it in November!

Or perhaps he's just feeling good.

If you think he'll play up at the show, give him a lunge first. Good luck

DebO

Been on a hack today. Me and two others. One girl plodded off ahead in her own world and me and the other stuck together. Her horse pranced the whole way having the odd leap (usual practice for her) and alex just mooched along happy as larry. They know ive been having problems and we had a nice trot, they asked about canter. I was going to say no as like ive said hes been taking this as a cue to run off. But instead he jumped into it and stayed in a nice rythem. Hyper horse decided to just go and the other horse followed suit, alex still happily cantered in his own rythem, he picked up speed a little but that was it. Maybe weve had an off few weeks?
Hmm, i didnt take him off the low cal or change anything so i will leave it as it is unless today was a fluke;)

Been on a hack today. Me and two others. One girl plodded off ahead in her own world and me and the other stuck together. Her horse pranced the whole way having the odd leap (usual practice for her) and alex just mooched along happy as larry. They know ive been having problems and we had a nice trot, they asked about canter. I was going to say no as like ive said hes been taking this as a cue to run off. But instead he jumped into it and stayed in a nice rythem. Hyper horse decided to just go and the other horse followed suit, alex still happily cantered in his own rythem, he picked up speed a little but that was it. Maybe weve had an off few weeks?
Hmm, i didnt take him off the low cal or change anything so i will leave it as it is unless today was a fluke;)

i think we should hack alex and mac together, i will have 999 on spead dial :) and you know which yard i am from.

I still think its Spring fever! Our pair are daft as brushes, I've not changed their diets or anything and there isn't any proper spring grass yet on their paddock as its a mud bath (am waiting for other fields to be fenced). I just think they are frisky with the spring air!!! CAn't think of any other reason - our pair are regularly checked - Joe's just had his teeth sorted and he's still being daft. But they can't be bugging / hurting him as he's not like it every time - just when the mood takes him (when he thinks it should be tea time!!!). Can't wait for them to settle down during the summer.........

I think you are right about spring fever, ours are all loons at the mo. My supposedly lame horse was legging it up road with poor lady I had roped into trotting him up for me! Although he was still lame he was certainly feeling good!!

...well sinse first posting this thread hes gone into donkey mode. Very well behaved and very willing to listen rather than fight. Odd pony-o!

I reckon you just jinxed him with that name :D

Seriously though, I think the spring grass has a lot to answer for - most of Willow's herd had a funny few days in March when the grass had responded to a few days of sunshine! I tried to lunge her then and she just span around on the end of the line for 5 mins so I gave up, but she usually needs a rocket up her bum to get going!

newrider.com