why cant people get along

Annie1

Jan 25, 2010
Hi everyone, I have a small livery yard , My sister and I keep our ponies, we didnt plan to rent out any of the spare stables, but this couple came up to see us and they were desperate so we said ok they seemed really nice, sorry this could be a long read, I am not a very strong person and I am being walked over by these people, I like people to be happy and hate any sort of atmosphere, I only have a few simple rules for saftey as we have kids, horses or ponies to have head collers on to be lead up from the fields to the sables , field rotation , poo picking, no talking behind anyones back aget strnd to wear hard hats in the sand school and down the track when riding. I dont hardly post on new rider as i dont have the confidence but I love flowowing what you all get upto, Well they let there horses up without head collers always turning of the electric fence my ponies got out yesterday, when I say anything they get stroppy and go off in a huff the yard is a mess, we made our own hay this year my partner is a contractor and knows what he is doing, they came down to help I did not ask them to ,but everything we were doing was wrong, he said we would only get 150 bales but my partner said more like 350 infact we 400 he just has to agrue,we gave him 50 bales because he helped and I knew if we didnt he is the type of person to chuck it back in your face. There is so much more I could write I am now at my witts end and dont even want to go up to my own yard. PLEASE HELP ME:cry:!!!!!!! If you read all this give yourself a big pat on the back

Give them notice. They sound like too much hassle. If you don't want to have any kind of confrontation, put it in writing and say that you no longer want the responsibility of having liveries. Simple and polite, no need to get them in a state where they can argue and ensure they have a leave by date. Bunch of pests!

I've been exactly there.... only difference was that the 'others' 'were' my friends and they did this to me.

I agree with asking them to leave and put it in writing. Put your tin hat on though in the run up to them going. However, it'll be a huge relief when they're gone!

Oh I feel for you, I also have a small yard and although I am a very strong person, I was walked over for the last 9 months, I went out of my way to help them and time and time again they pushed the bounderies.

My 1st reaction is to give them notice, get rid of them, you don't need the hassle. I was lucky, mine eventually left without me having to be big bad yard owner, but it took me to stop doing the extra's all the time for them to realise that they couldn't really cope with the horse (but that's another story)

If this is not an option, and you can't face the conversation, what about a really nice letter, explaining all the issues you feel and why you insist on things the way you do, I know you shouldn't have to explain, but it might just wake them up to the dangers etc etc, and I would also point out (nicely) that it is your yard and if they don't change you will have no option but to give them notice. Write the letter, then sleep on it and re-read it in the morning. If it still sounds good, post it on their stables etc.

Sorry to hear they're stressing you out, sounds like they're not worth it. If they're not making you much money, then definitely not worth it.

I understand what you're going throught! My Ma calls it 'chattering monkey syndrome', which makes confronting people really difficult, because you spend so long worrying about how you're going to make them feel!

Long and short of it is it's your land, your horses and kids, and your right to kick them off. Just politely say (in writing) you have decided to stop offering livery and ask them to leave. Have you signed/agreed a contract? If not, then be polite and to the point, there's nothing they can do. If you have signed a contract, it sounds like they have broken the rules, so you have the right to ask them to leave.

Good luck with it! Come back and tell us how it goes, everyone on NR is very kind and understanding, and won't be judgemental.

Oh dear. Really feel for you if you are not up to the confrontation. Having horses has made me stronger in that sense, I used to gib out of telling people the necessary but after all the sh1t I had with the neighbours and the horses I don't much bother anymore! However, that doesn't help you. I would be inclined to get them off your yard, you just don't need the hassle. If they have a contract with you (which presumably you will have set up and know what it contains) then give them notice in writing. I know its horrible and it sounds as tho you have got into an awful situation. This is why I did not take the hints made to me about taking in liveries when we bought our place!! Its your yard and you just don't need all this trouble. What does your OH think? You must address this problem it is not going to go away. The hardest step is bringing it out to their attention, and I know you'll probably be a bag of nerves about it all but its best to get it over with. Good luck and good vibes - keep us posted when you get chance.
Just another thought, might it be easier to tackle them individually? Get your sisters help too - try and "pick your moment".

just tell them it's not working out and give them notice. you're not a livery yard, it's your property which you use privately, you don't owe them anything! or tell them the council are on to you for insurance or something?

it sounds terrible and they're being very disrespectful!

I have the same problem where I am. No rules as YO rely on people having comon sense and comon sense isn't very common!

YO's don't get involved and are elderly so don't need the hassle.

The more relaxed a yard is, the more the individuals involved need to shoulder more responsability and have more consideration for others.

TBH at the moment I'd rather be on a yard like Flumps where there are lots of rules and high standards than feel as let down and trod on as I do where I am.

Easy go to your solicitor & have them sent a solicitors letter giving them 2 wks notice & saying that if there is any trouble the notice will be withdrawn & they will have 24hr to remove their horses.If they come to you ignore all tears & recriminations & say that it was only meant to be a temporary measure & that it's quite definitely not working.Good luck

^^ i like tubby's idea, that way if they start creating you can get shot of them quick. It's YOUR yard and you shouldn't be feeling this way :( if they were so desperate for stabling they'd be grateful. They obviously aren't so i'd tell them to get going and find somewhere else. good luck!

What a horrible situation to be in, you sound like you have a wonderful set and so lovely too! I would say ask them politely to leave, take your OH with you and definitely only give them two weeks. Reasonable amount of time without you having to suffer the hell of them being there too long! Good luck x

Echo what everyone else has said, you are supposed to enjoy spending time with your horses, not dread it....... Get rid...:redcarded:

It maybe difficult, but believe me, you will feel SO much better in the long run.

Good Luck!

Hey Annie,

Awww god what an awful situation I was was almost in the same predicament as you last month. I have my own yard and like you I just cant say no I had a mutual friend who had lost her two stables at a nearby yard that was closing down and kept begging me daily could you come and home her two horses at my yard. Like you I do all of the maintenance myself as well as working long weeks. To cut a long story short eventually I cracked and said yes the next day she turned up at my house with a long winded contract of how this would work out and how I would work my own land etc and she would share my hay and do my horses but would have the stables for free in return etc. I was in total shock and that if I wanted to lead or turn out her horses I would need insurance on my own land.:eek: I didnt say anything and just started to ignore her calls I know, I know I didnt want confrontation. I then got the balls to call her and tell her that it just wouldnt work out I am so thankful that I did as I really think she would have been real trouble.

If I were you I would tell them if you dont want confrontation like me that you have had a good think and spoke to your husband and dedcided to use the remaning stables for storage lets say machinery etc and would prefer it to be a family yard something along those lines anyway hehe goodluck huni xxx

If you want to avoid confrontation then make something up about your suddenly finding out that it is illegal to let the stables and you are no longer allowed to do it. Say that you have been given a warning and that you have to give them 4 weeks notice. As others have said, you shouldn't feel unwelcome on your own yard, ask them to leave and enjoy your horses again.

If you want to avoid confrontation then make something up about your suddenly finding out that it is illegal to let the stables and you are no longer allowed to do it. Say that you have been given a warning and that you have to give them 4 weeks notice. As others have said, you shouldn't feel unwelcome on your own yard, ask them to leave and enjoy your horses again.

These are good suggestions, but I don't think you should be telling lies. Just say that you've decided not to do liveries any more - unless you think you might want to take on other liveries, in which case it may be better to say you just think it isn't working out. I quite understand you don't want a confrontation; would your OH do it instead? Otherwise a letter is probablyi the best option.

newrider.com