Which bit would you suggest?

Laura2184

Mar 1, 2005
Cheshire
www.cheshiretackroom.co.uk
There seems to be lots of bit threads but hopefully somebody on here likes reading them as Im very confused about bits!! :D

I have been told by my instructor that I need a neue schule loose ring trans lozenge bit. In the Shires catalogue I have this will cost 38 pounds. Also in this catalogue is a Copper french link bradoon at 11.69 (sorry, cant get my pound sign working..:rolleyes:) and also a cupro nickel 'training bit' at 19.25.

Now, each of the descriptions for the bits say basically the same, encourages the horse to soften/salivate.

At the moment Prince leans on the bit and is very on the forehand, Im working on this by trying to get his engine working from behind! He sticks his nose out and it looks and feels awful.

Any suggestions on what I need?

Hello,
A bradoon is one of the bits used with a double bridle - it's the snaffle one but it's thinner than a normal snaffle, presumably so there is still room for the curb bit. Sorry I don't know much about bits either:eek:

Frosty

I have a Sprenger KK Ultra French link loose ring snaffle with lozenge. It's basically the same sort of thing as the bit you have been told to buy, only it costs about £70 :eek: I was very happy with it but then my horse started trying to nap on hacks, so I bought a cheapy bit - one of these

http://www.ayrequestrianshop.co.uk/cottage-craft-bits-i23.html

It works better than the Sprenger - or at least it does with my horse :D She goes lovely in it, very light and settled in her mouth.

If you think the Neue Schule bit is a bit pricey, you could do worse than trying one of these!

http://www.ayrequestrianshop.co.uk/cottage-craft-bits-i38.html

neue schule bits are FANTASTIC. they are made of a warmer softer metal compromising a high copper content, with the NS additive this raises oxidation, encouraging salivation and softening of the mouth. they do really work, and aswell as this, if you look closely they have an arrow which is suposed to go on the left hand side facing down the horses mouth. this indicates direction of the bit, as they are designed to sit in a more natural and comfortable position. i think a neue schule should be tried in your case before using any gadgets such as flexi reins etc, as i have had many horses take to them really well, also flexi reins are banned in BD, for example so if you were planning on doing that, you would not be allowed so why train in one?!?! hope this helps. pm me for more info on bitting.

newrider.com