When you meet that massive lorry!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
My pony is off ridden work at the moment, this morning I thought I would take him for a little wander for a change of scenery.

Was plodding down the road, when I look behind and there is the hugest clunkiest lorry coming, its so big it has a crane on top!

So I turn pony round so he can see it coming, and he walked past it like an absolute gem :wub:

The lorry was still moving and making an awful noise and we had no more than a metre gap to edge along. He did little more than one tiny jog and I stroked his neck and he walked immediately.

Just shows how far he has come, when I got him not only would he walk along the road sideways terrified of everything, but I couldnt lead him anywhere without him napping or tanking off.

Yay :skip: Don't you just love those moments that you can look back and see the change. I'm sure there were days at the beginning you could sit down and cry but this just goes to show all the hard work you've put in and how your relationship has come together....well done, big smiles :smile:

well done to both of you! he clearly put alot of trust in you x

Well done indeed, OH do I know what a great feling that is. I have been working towards traffic proofing a horse. We met the scary delivery van, a fast car and a Land ROver. Where once it would have had him pooing his pants he let them all come past without meltdown........phew

Well done indeed, OH do I know what a great feling that is. I have been working towards traffic proofing a horse. We met the scary delivery van, a fast car and a Land ROver. Where once it would have had him pooing his pants he let them all come past without meltdown........phew

Well done! Mine used to be especially scared of cyclists too, but I spent some time cycling round the field with him and feeding him carrots after he had watched me on my bike and now he loves cyclists!

Thankyou everyone :) it is a great feeling. I think I was more scared than him!

He is very brave, I am lucky that he is more inquisitive about things these days, he will have a little look then not bother with it. Before he would be spinning, jogging and pooing all over the place before he had even looked at it properly. If that makes sense, was trying to say he now realises whatever it is won't hurt him

Only thing we are still scared of is the trotters :frown:

Only thing we are still scared of is the trotters :frown:

Id say passing one of those hurtling down the road is enougth to give an adult a heart attack let alone a horse !

Thankyou everyone :) it is a great feeling. I think I was more scared than him!

I know what you mean, there was a huge artic lorry coming towards us the other day and my heart was in my mouth, I even started singing some random rubbish to her, only for her to tootle past without batting an eyelid. Felt absolutely great! A tractor on the other hand, well they eat horses for breakfast, lunch and tea :cold: so I'm taking inspiration from your post :dance:

I sing when I'm worried too! For some reason I was in a really nervous mood a few weeks ago and sang all the way round a hack, the same song as well and I cannot sing, he was great though bless him, I must of looked insane.

When we get tractors visiting the yard I try to bring him over to have a sniff and watch them working so he knows they won't eat him 99% of the time now. I remember once the police came down for some reason and he was having a good look round the car and all the equipment they got out the boot, better than being a nervous nelly about it I guess!

Id say passing one of those hurtling down the road is enougth to give an adult a heart attack let alone a horse !

They are terrifying! Luckily they mainly stop or walk to let us past round here which is nice! But the one time they didn't, I faced my boy to a fence for fear of him running into the road and sat tight. He was so good, just a bit of fussing and a couple of tiny broncs but my legs were like jelly!

I remember when I was younger I was out with my share horse and I met a 4 horse carriage!! I was so scared, we were both trembling as we edged past them I think, but she held it together very well considering!

newrider.com