When to stop riding old horses ?

companymagic

Nov 18, 2008
Northants
Just after some thoughts really, on when you should stop riding old horses.

I have two boys a TB at 27 with no really issues other than some breathing problems but nothing major, and a Shire x at 22 that has some stiffness in his back legs and needs bute daily to keep him sound.

My vet has said its fine to keep them working, but I am starting to think is that really the best for them ? Is it bad to retire horses that can in theroy still be worked ?

Will they suffer if I stop riding them ? I mean I don't do alot just weekends in the winter and max 4 days a week in the summer and just hacking, have even stopped cantering them, so really not doing a lot with them.

So my questions is really, retire or ride? Whats best for THEM (I have others to ride)

If they are happy to do it, then i would say dont stop. It might just be whats keeping them happy :p until a point when they started to lose condition etc i would keep doing what you are doing :D

I think it's important to keep them moving.. esp if arthritis is the issue... My horse (16) has arthritis in his pastern joints, both fronts, and If for any reason he doesnt get ridden for any length of time, then he stiffens up badly, then it takes ages to get him going again. Certainly at this time of year, he's only getting ridden maybe twice a week, or three times, bt each time with atleast one day off inbetween.

The oldie I rode (30) was ridden, at weekends and occassionally another day through the week, weather/time depending. A) it helped to keep him going, and B0 it relieved his boredom of constant feild/stable routine. Only stopped riding him, as it became clear his body was failing him. then he had a few months of rest, before being let go. But every horse is different.

I have a 24yo who suffers from arthritus, he can get quite stiff sometimes. He still gallops/jumps about as if he's a youngster. Personally i think it's better to be in work as it keeps them active etc. I do take him out of work mainly over winter to keep weight on him (tbx very poor doer at the best of times) but he goes to local funrides, shows etc over the summer!

I think he'd go a bit mental if he was fulltime out of work, he's bad enough over winter!

what an interesting topic!! My arab mare is 22 in May and is in very good health bar a grade 3 heart mumour!! I work her 6 days a week, take her competing & am doing a long distance ride with her this Friday!!

If your horse can still be ridden, then why not ride them??

I feel that this also helps make them live longer as they are kept "fit & healthy"!!

Should I have to retire her due to ill health, I will do but fingers crossed, I will still be riding her in her 30s!!

:D

Our 18 year old has mild arthritis and vet said to keep on riding him. He's not on bute daily or anything like that, but he's only ridden lightly. OH has the occasional blast around our fields on him during the summer - he looks like he's running in the 2.30 from Cheltenham!!! (not showing any signs of old age really!). I think its an individual thing tho - I knew one horse owner on a yard I was on still riding her pone who was 30 odd years old - just once a week for a quiet hack - and it kept her ticking over.

My anglo arab is 23 & still full of life. He is ridden lightly & still enjoys himself.
It's really up to the individual as to when to stop riding. Basically when they are no longer enjoying/able to be ridden then that maybe would be the time to stop.

I retired my permenant loan pony at 24 and deeply regret it. He had arthritis but he was still fine to ride and enjoying it, I thought it was for the best and he really went downhill after that. He collapsed when he was 26 and never got up again, was pts on boxing day. I was 17 when I was retired him. Let the horse tell you when to stop, it can really have a negative effect on them :(

Rambo was retired at about 20 and had a glorious 6 years of 24/7 pasture life ....
He had been stuff before, but was absolutely fine turned out. He would happily hae continued working, but he enjoyed his retirement just as muchm and I knew we wouldn't be going places any more, so it made sense for both of us to let him take it easy ...

I think the worse thing you can do is retire an old horse who is still going along fine. As soon as I retired my 25y.o Willie he started to stiffen and get 'old' rather quickly. He became depressed and lost condition. I don't know what it is but this seems to happen a lot when people think their horse is too old and just stick them in a field, they seem to get really lose condition. Of course it depends on the horse though! :) I would say keep at it! :)

I wouldn't want to bute a horse every day to keep him sound. Could his activity be limited to packing around the kiddies? That way, he'd still be - and feel - useful, but you wouldn't risk the digestive problems that might result from daily bute.

As for TBs with breathing problems - I don't know enough about the breed to advise you, but I'd think breathing problems might be a sign something needs to change.

Sorry to be the only negative voice.

I rode my stables 27 year old in the field once, doing some cow herding, and she loved it - tearing here and there, spinning and leaping. She is an Arab X

Many old horses love being ridden and I've heard of horses going downhill after retirement as well. Keep them in work while they enjoy it, its better for them. Maybe stopping when they start to struggle, slow down or show reluctance to be ridden.

I wouldn't want to bute a horse every day to keep him sound. Could his activity be limited to packing around the kiddies? That way, he'd still be - and feel - useful, but you wouldn't risk the digestive problems that might result from daily bute.

For a 22 year old ex mounted Police horse a bute a day is the lest of his health problems. :)

Would use him for kiddies but have none, he was used for Riding for the Disabled but even that was a bit much for him, he is a big old boy not much is ok for him unless its a straight line :)

Will see how we go over the summer.....

Doey is 26 years young this year, and the little moo sure could fly up that hill today when I tried to bring her in :rolleyes:

She has her problems from time to time and can't jump, but since losing weight and working more she rides so much better and goes very well. Her loaner had a lesson today doing loads of cantering :)

I also know a local horse about 35 still winning local dressage comps!

It isn't how old you are, it's how old you feel, and this is never truer than for a horse.

I think it definitely depends on the horse - at my barn there is a 22 year old gelding who is never reliably sound. However, there is also a 30 year old QH gelding who I occasionally ride who I describe as "the old energizer bunny on crack." While he can be a bit stiff before he warms up, and he looks ancient, you get on him and we lap everyone in the ring! (not running off - just very forward). He can do and keep up with a full lesson - WTC with low jumps, keep going and have lots of fun the whole time (without me pushing him at all, he likes to do it and is fine for it)! Just for fun I competed him in some pleasure classes over the summer - and we placed very well, against (younger) expensive horses! LOL.

Last edited:
newrider.com