what you you do? poll

If You Forgot The TREAT, Would You

• Total voters

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Ok let us have some fun.

Question-

If you went to catch your horse and forgot the all important TREAT what would you do?

I also don't treat to catch. Madam got unlucky - piggy is a dream to catch and she doesn't like to be without him... Solved her catching problems LOL

Mine catch me. They come running the moment they see me then pace about till I get there...although Joy will stop pacing for a bit to pee!

The cob comes running, but I always have little something to make it worth while. She does have 20 acres to travel over.
Not carrots as I eat them.

Have never had a problem catching him. I do however sometimes give him a treat going down the track if there is something scarey along the way - I have found chewing seems to calm them!

mine both come cantering up when they see me. when harvey is on the marsh he sees my car go over the bridge and canters up the field (big big big marsh) to greet me when i get there. I don't treat either (not unless we are doing carrot stretches)

I don't treat for catch. I treat for treating. lol She usually comes to the gate and then follows me to the barn so I don't even really catch her.
I do scratch her though as soon as I come through the gate. Maybe she considers that her treat and it's the reason she always comes to pick me up? Never thought about this before actually.
I wouldn't be stressed over not arriving with a treat.
Although I am getting ready to visit Minnie at the trainers in a little bit. This was her first night away from home. I am almost peeing my pants with excitement to see her and you bet I have my carrots ready. Treat now all the way!

All my 5 come over to say hello, a couple of them can be a PITA when I am poo picking.

My shetland Surprise can be a pain if he has escaped onto decent grass, keeping his feet moving for a few minutes so he can't get a mouthful soon has him willing to be caught.

Don't treat and don't itch either.Generally they come to me and I just say hello,put headcollar on and lead out.

Rarely treat by hand unless clicker training or as a really special reward,just encourages bad habits IME,and also my fattie really doesn't need extra calories lol

I don't treat either, but I always give a pat on the neck or rub on the forehead when I bring a horse in.

I don't often treat on catching these days, but will if I have something in my pocket and decide I want to. They'll usually get a little scratch and a fuss though.
Both of them were serial bad catchers in former homes and they live in a lovely place with everything they need so I don't expect either of them to come running when they see me.

I don't treat for catching. But I do have to walk up to him in field. He stops and raises his head when I call but doesn't move :(
I don't think this is so seriously bad it warrants treating to alter.

newrider.com