What would a 10hh/11h pony be able to carry?

G

Guest 2

Title in the question really. And no im not planning to ride the little pony but just wondering how much weight he would be able to carry.
Hes a welsh pony and around 10hh/11hh.
Looking forward for your replies.

My guess is that he would be able to carry 7stone ?! but i dont know really as hes tiny. I havent got any pics sorry.

Is he stocky or is he fine-boned? If he's stocky, he could carry 10 or 11 stone. I don't really know Welsh ponies though. Weight is also different from height. I'm between 8 and 8.5 stone so weight-wise I would be fine on him, but I'm 5'7" so he would have a hard time balancing with me on him. It depends on the pony's bones, the rider's height, and the rider's experience. A lighter beginner rider would seem heavier if she didn't know how to balance on the pony than a heavier experienced rider who knows how to stay light in the saddle.
I hope that helps.
But there are a lot of other threads about this that might be more helpful to you.

Thanks for that. Ermmm hes not really fine but hes not stocky so i think hes just a normal little pony. His legs are small though so would probably collapase if i got on him lol.
I am 5ft5 so would definately be to tall for him anyways

I'm guessing this is a typical welsh type, at around 10-11hh I would say a max of 9 stone to be comfortable. There is a general rule of thumb (although of course it varies between individual horses or ponies) that they can carry a rider that weighs up to 20% of there own body weight.

newrider.com