What was he doing?

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
My horse is very mouthy, although not as bad as when I first got him. He likes to put everything in his mouth and he will try and suck your clothes etc. he bit me once a year ago when i first had him but not since. Today a friend called in for a chat and we went out to the field as she wanted to see him and the pony, she fed each of them a carrot. We were standing talking and of course he came over and stood beside us but he then with wide opened mouth went down to my friends leg or boot not quite sure what he was after, he did this twice and I told him off and sent him away. Do you think he was being aggressive, playing or what? He didn't quickly do it, his mouth was wide open and he went down slowly towards her leg/boot?? He has never did this before?

He didn't have a bit of carrot stuck and was trying to dislodge it? Sorry that's probably really stupid but I'm sure I've seen a horse do that before when it had something in its mouth/throat

Oh thanks, I do hope you are both right, he can be a bit forward and pushy sometimes, I was worried he was warning her to stay away from me?! He can get jealous and would try to keep the small pony away from me but I don't let him off with it. I was probably reading too much into it.

newrider.com