What to feed a yearling that is not soy

Bee

Oct 8, 2021
Hi everyone,

Ive been looking at purchasing two anglo arab fillies (yealings), I'm just looking for some advice on what to feed them? They will have grass 24/7 unless inside for weather. For feed I'd really rather not feed soy products if I can help it! (E.g D&H Suregrow and some other brands contain genetically modified soy). Wondering if anyone could share some brands and product names I could look at for feed? And what ratios of product(s) you would give in a feeding?

Also on top of that would just normal hay be ok to, or should haylage be given?

Thank you so much for any advice,

I’ve always had my babies on grass, or hay and vits/mins and some linseed meal. If they need some extra calories I go for Alfa or sugarbeet. I’m not a huge fan of feeding lots of grains unless they really need it.

I agree, youngsters shouldn't need extra non-forage feed. If they are thin and need topping up, you could choose an organic forage-based feed like Agrobs chaff or grass nuts.

Thank you for replying, its just a little confusing as on forums I've seen people say they use feeds as well as grass. I've seen different forums saying they need a bit more protein and minerals, which grass wont give quite enough? It just gets a little confusing, and I'd only want to do what would be best for them :). Would they need any feed as we come into winter? ( I'm located in Suffolk area Uk) Or only a top up if they are looking a little thin at that time?

Thanks so much for your time and advice everyone :).

Thank you for replying, its just a little confusing as on forums I've seen people say they use feeds as well as grass. I've seen different forums saying they need a bit more protein and minerals, which grass wont give quite enough? It just gets a little confusing, and I'd only want to do what would be best for them :). Would they need any feed as we come into winter? ( I'm located in Suffolk area Uk) Or only a top up if they are looking a little thin at that time?

Thanks so much for your time and advice everyone :).
Hi from a fellow Suffolk-er 😁
Good summer grass will give everything (by good I mean nutritionally diverse) but here in the brecks our soil is sand, so nutritionally deficient in most things so I choose to feed a complete balancer in addition. There’s lots of good ones that will give a good balance with most forage only diets (forage plus, progressive earth, equimins etc). You can get into forage analysis and balancing vits, mins and proteins to your specific forage, that isn’t practical for me as I don’t have much grazing and get new hay delivered every month but it’s the closest you can get to perfection, though you have to remember that the requirements are generally pretty wide (min to max of things) and you don’t need to be too crazy about it unless there’s a specific issue IMO.
I feed my mob year round on hay and a small (1 cup grass nuts plus balancer kind of size) bucket feed, but they are also on hay year round as I run a track system and the baby and his mate only go on grass during the day, the other 2 are on the track 24/7 apart from a couple of months in the winter. I had the baby and his mate on grass full time this summer at another property (better soil, old meadow) and I really didn’t worry about feeding then.
Claire McLeod is a really good independent nutritionist if you’d like to get a consultation done to help you decide, obviously you can get free ones from feed companies but they’ll only recommend their own stuff.

I feed suregrow. I’ve fed it to my boys since he was 6months old. He’s done grand on it, no issues with him at all. For the amount that he gets (a cup a day) I can’t imagine the amount of soy in it is all that high. I tried to put him in a powdered balancer one summer and he came out in hives with two, one he wouldn’t eat and the other I took a reaction to so I went back to the suregrow and haven’t looked back.

newrider.com