What kind bit should I use on Robin?

Kate 05501

Oct 13, 2004
Garson, Ontario
Visit site
I think you are right about the tie down. What I am going to do is change the bit. What kind of bit should I try? I sould point out Robin loves to play with her bit and toss her head. Robin was using a Staffle Bit? Thank you for your time. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Kate 05501 and the gang

Is this a continuation from another thread? Can you post the other thread so we can catch up on what has been going on with Robin? ;) :)

Is this a continuation from another thread? Can you post the other thread so we can catch up on what has been going on with Robin? ;) :)

http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1053465&posted=1#post1053465

I think that you'd be better initially trying to found out whether there are bitting issues. I went from a snaffle to a french link to a happy mouth to a soft rubber straight bare with Saff which helped but didn't solve the problem. The only thing that helped us (and I'm not saying that your problem is the same) was to take the bit out completely for a few months (I worked her in a Hackamore) and then gradually reintroduce the bit as the negative memories subsided. Initially I would just lunge her off the cavesson but with the bit in so that she could start to equate a bit with not being tugged in the mouth. It was a long and slow process that is only just coming together. It was worth taking the time though :)

With regards to bits I found that Saff likes the KK range, I have her in the KK WH at the moment which is like the Ultra but with a 'wheel' in the middle of the lozenge. I know that a lot of people like the KKs but every horse is different so it's a chance you have to take.

Some horses respond positively to the pelham (always used with two reins) and Heather Moffett uses them remedially very successfully.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

newrider.com