What do you wish you knew about your horse?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I wish that I knew several things about Ben:

Who bred him and why?
Who his parents are and where they are now?
Why he has been sold on so often?
Who bought him his Barrie Swain saddle?
Who taught him such amazing manners?
Has he always been so calm?
How much jumping has he done in the past?

I also wish that I could speak to him and get answers. I would ask him:
Is he happy?
Does he like me?
Is he pleased that I moved him to this yard?

What would you like to know about your horse?

i'd like to know if they're happy :)

i'd also LOVE some foal pics of angel :redface: and how/when/by whom she was backed maybe! and whether there's someone out there wanting to know how she is (i traced most of her homes, but still some gaps!) doing :)

:)

I am not sure I really want the answers to some of my questions. lol

I'd love to know what breeds are in Minnie. The only part I know is that she is part Percheron.

I'd love to know all the things Bixby did in her past and like you I wonder why she changed hands 10 times in 12 years.

i'd like to know if they're happy :)

i'd also LOVE some foal pics of angel :redface: and how/when/by whom she was backed maybe! and whether there's someone out there wanting to know how she is (i traced most of her homes, but still some gaps!) doing :)

I LOVED getting foal pics of my ex-racehorse DJ! I also tried to get the finish line shot of a race he won but wasn't able to.

I used to want all those answers about his history, and still muse sometimes but essentially all I want to know is if he's in pain. Thats enough for me. The rest I've got to know about him from spending time with him and I'm happy with that.

I used to want all those answers about his history, and still muse sometimes but essentially all I want to know is if he's in pain. Thats enough for me. The rest I've got to know about him from spending time with him and I'm happy with that.

I feel the same. I longed to know silvers history, her breeding, where whe grew up and what happened to her... I'm now very much of the opinion That the past doesn't matter, knowing the above information changes nothing - she still needs to be cared for in the same way regardless of her past. Rascal ha also helped me come to terms with that - I know his full history and yet there still seem to be pieces missing - really and truthfully we can never be as arrogant to predict what events may or may not impact a horses behaviour and mentality. He has had a lovely life, living out with his family for a few years and never really worked - yet he has problems with feet, confidence and panicking - but other than leaving family (he still moved with his Half bro though!) he has had little trauma as is oft talked about.

Most of the ponies i know everything about, there is just Faye who always makes me wonder.
I want to know who bred her, her parents, where she was bred, why, what for? I want to know who taught her to jump so well, and why she is so scared of somethings. I also want to know why she was sold to the dealers yard, and who by, and why she doesnt trust people.
Im so curious to know about her past. :redface:

Like PFB I used to want to know what had happened to Ziggy to make him as anxious and unhappy as he was when I got him.

Now I realise that as he's a horse, he's never going to need therapy. All he needs is to be happy right now. He tells me whether he is or not by whether he comes to me, whether he turns his head to me or away from me, and his expression.

So that's all right then! But the thinkiing human in me still hankers to know...

I used to want to know everything about Caymen but I dont think he is just one of the many horses bred in Ireland (MY horse, and my everything may I add). Everything in his passport in unknown.

I am hoping to meet the lady that bought him as a four year old and I guess I may see some pics but it will be nice just to chat. She is a friend of the lady I bought him off of.

We had a horse communicator come to our yard but I chose not to book her. I dont know what I would ask him and like others, I choose to live in the moment.

I would love to ask Raf if his new saddle is comfortable! I'd also like to know what makes Jack scared of loading, so we'd know whether swapping our trailer for a larger one, or a box, would be easier for him or make no difference.

Out of curiosity I'd like to know what breeds Jack has in there - he's passported as ID x but he looks more like a giant pony to me!

Rosko came from Ireland end of November - he was named Rosko, by my friend, when he arrived in England. He is 5yo.

I know what he was doing during his last six weeks in Ireland, where he was referred to as 'little coloured cob' :redcarded: - my friend saw him over there in October and hacked/jumped him around XC course etc. I've also spoken to the dealer in Ireland about him...

What I don't know is anything about him prior to October 2011. You can only assume by his rather chilled nature, good-manners and willing attitude towards work that he was reasonably well treated.... Would be nice to be able to ask him a few questions :giggle::tongue:

He's had a 5-stage vet check, had his teeth done by an EDT, had his vaccs, been seen by my farrier and had a thorough check over by equine sports physio... so I'm assuming no issues anywhere (hopefully :happy:)

If we are to 'humanise' our horses, i guess it'd be nice to ask him if he's happy, in need of anything (and pain free)?. But, external signs would indicate he is :wink: He's in a biggish herd of about 10 horses and I would like to know who he loves/hates :giggle::giggle:

Would love to know if she is happy!
Does she remember being a little foal and was she happy then?
Is all her tack comfy?
Does she miss Joe?
Why is she so mean to Chloe!??
Does she feel safe with me?

This is why I got her reading done :giggle:

I did find her breeder and a previous owner so know a wee bit about her past.

TBH I know she is happier than when I met her I can see it and she shows it so thats all i really care about.

I'm not that interest in his past but I would like to know what happened for him to be left in a field for 8 years with out being ridden (he was looked after well but not ridden)

I would like to know if he is happy with his field mate as he sometimes I am not to sure.

If he pain free I believe he is, he gets all the checks etc but wonder if there is any thing that I might be missing, he is a genuine lad so he would work through pain so I have to be extra careful

i guess i'm very lucky knowing kezzie's full history from birth. I'd love to know toby's breeding, and why whoever bred him decided to move him on. although i'm glad they did :)

I'd love to know who inflicted such pain on him and scarred him for life both physically and mentally. I would also like to know a bit more about his past life. I feel he has known kindness at some point but also alot of cruelty. I just want to know why he feels so defensive around strangers and why he finds it so hard to trust people

well I found out a bit about Petris past not long ago from her old old old owner :happy:,

but would love to hear more of what she got up to in holland, and would love to see photos of her in her younger days,

If I could understand a word of her holland passport maybe I could get in touch with her breeders .. though not sure how I would be able to :help:

newrider.com