What do you thinks happened to her?

FayeObs

Jul 20, 2008
Halifax
bradshawfriesians.webs.com
Im confused! (It doesnt take much! lol)

Ive been working REALLY hard with selina. I started taking her out in hand first then over the weeks, went out with someone on foot, now she's good on her own. Ok a little nervous with new things and out of her comfort zone, but no way naughty!

Anyway, i rode her on Monday, no problems, another girl rode her on weds and she said she was fine no problems. Today i get on, and she wont even go up the lane, she was attempting to buck and rear... i took her back to the stabble and took the saddle off (just incase!) and walked her up in hand, but again... wouldnt go! Its like shes gone back to basics, because thats how she started! But she was going so so so so well... any ideas???/experiences??

White wine spirtzer for those who got to the end lol

Was it particularly cold/wet/windy today?? Is the grass coming up a little ??

Do you think anything could have happened with the other girl when she was out but she didn't want to say anything??

Or maybe she was just having an off day??
(throwing suggestions out TBH, hope she's all better and 'normal' soon:))

When you say that someone else rode, did you see the whole ride. It may be that the "new" rider had a problem and maybe was too embarrassed to tell you? It could be that the your horse is reacting how the new person rode. Equally it could be that it was just an off day. I would put it down to a one off and get back on tomorrow. Hopefully it shouldn't happen again and then you know it was a blip :) If it happens again I'd be questioning the other rider about what really happened ;)

Edit - I part loaned a horse who was lovely and soft. Another loaner took on the other half of the loan and over time the horse developed a problem with pulling at my hands on a hack if I tried to collect her (say to get past something scary). It turns out the other rider made her walk in a really tight outline when hacking, I schooled on hacks but always long and low. I had a chat with her and explained what was happening. It wasn't that she was doing anything wrong as such it was just that we were both riding in different styles and it seemed to be confusing the horse. The other rider switched to schooling long and low on hacks and the problem disappeared. She also found Max much more willing for her both on hacks and in the school - it was a win-win situation :)

Did that make any sense?

Last edited:
I didnt see her ride, but shes a very cappable rider and knows what work ive put in so done think she'd not say anything, shes lovely!

I'll have a word and see if she spooked at anything or if she was a little different to normal!

hopefully she'll be back to her self soon! fingers crossed! I was loving having a horse to ride!!

What do you think happened to her?

As nice, capable and helpful as people can be when riding your horse, my experience is that they sometimes just don't tell you if anything happens which has scared him or her.

Maybe they don't want to worry you, or are embarrassed to admit they were scared themselves if your horse suddenly spooked at something unexpected, but the fact is, that you need to know! A horse doesn't just start being difficult for no reason, if there are no physical discomforts or pain involved, and you should ask her to please confirm nothing happened when she was riding your horse, as although you don't blame her, you need to address whatever it is.

If she is as capable and nice as you say, she will understand your concerns.

Hope you find out what is the problem and are able to get on top of it.

Good Luck!

Roseanne

You might even find that something did happen like her spooking or something which the other rider felt she handled and didn't feel the need to tell you but has just really affected the horse. Try her again and see how she goes - if not then talk to the other rider, explain that you're concerned and confused and check whether there were any incidents which she thought minor and not worth telling you.

Good luck, I hope it's all sorted and you're back to riding soon!

Maybe she's just telling you she's not sure she likes going out on her own. If nothing happened with the other girl maybe just go back a step lead her for a couple of days then try again riding her. Sometimes things are going well then they just lose confidence a bit and need to repeat the earlier stages to give them reassure them. Persevere, be patient and understanding and I'm sure she will get the hang of it!

She may have just been having an off day - Danica has done it with me in the past, for whatever reason on this particular day she did not want to be ridden. Few days later all was fine again. Maybe she was trying to tell you that she was overwhelmed being ridden 2 days on the run??

Could be an idea to keep to every other day until she gets more used to it then work up from there?

Something important though has Mortisha had her baby?????

Horses for you, one minute they are okay, the next they think a monsters going to eat them.

I would only stick you riding her for the moment, was it the first time is girl rode her?

Thanks for ** replies!

Im going to try her again tomorrow, shes had a few days off now. She was been ridden about 4 times aweek (slowly worked up to that though) so was getting quite fit, I still only took her out for about 40 minutes max. But she's not even break a sweat! Its taken my 4 months to get to that point, so im not giving up!

Will let you know how we get on!

The girl had ridden her a couple of times before without any problems, so i think it maybe just Selina trying it on or like others say, having a day off.

Tracey - Mortisha hasnt popped yet! But her teats are the size of footballs, so ANY day now :) will send you pics as soon as he/she appears!xx

newrider.com