What do you think of my haflingers weight/ condition?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Sorry the pics are not great

picture.php

picture.php

The front looks nice, you can see withers and the shoulders, lacks muscle.

Hard to say re the back end because for this type that could be coat and some muscle as oppose to hugely access of fat. My cob always has a traditional butt. :redface:

He is the slimmest he has been since I got him :dance: and possibly ever!

I wasn't sure if he needed to loose a bit more, his belly is quite slim now can feel his ribs easily. But perhaps a little more would be good. And he definatley needs some more muscle, hasn't done too much proper work over winter until a few weeks ago really. But think you maybe right about his back end, may always be a little apple shaped. Last year he had a proper gutter running along it so this is much better.

I want to keep him this weight over summer which is going to be the real challenge!

I was just thinking how fab he looks!
When I logged in I had to do a double take as I thought I don't remember posting pics of Belle.
He is slimmer than Belle I think - she still has fat pads on her bottom and a tiny bit behind her shoulder.
Well done Ale. He looks great. :dance:

I think he is looking great,you have done a great job and he looks much better than this time last year,well done you!

I'd not want him much slimmer, more muscle maybe, but then the modern Haflinger is nothing like the old ones I am used to.

I think you're really doing well with him, Ale. When I saw the 'fat' pic, I thought it was Hebe ...

She lost tons of weight over the winter, and was looking really good - I'd been working on developing her muscle too. Then she was in a paddock with too much grass for about four days, while the fields were harrowed and rolled and whoosh! - all the fat came back, instantly. We'd completely lost that banana shape, she had a nice flat topline, and we'd lost the apple bum too. So it's back to starving, quickly, before the grass starts coming through. a:)

IMG_7855 by polyglot345, on Flickr

IMG_7862 by polyglot345, on Flickr

Hebe bum March 2013 by polyglot345, on Flickr

She is so gorgeous. I know how you feel though, now the grass has started coming through every day when I take his rug off I expect him to have the massive belly again! Gonna have towork hard this summer to keep him slim

This could just be my eyes or the photo angle but have you had issues with the right side of the pelvis. It just looks less rounded and not as level as the otherwise.
The bum photo Ale.

Last edited:
He's passported at 14.3 strangely but I think he's more like 14.1

Will measure one day

She is so gorgeous. I know how you feel though, now the grass has started coming through every day when I take his rug off I expect him to have the massive belly again! Gonna have towork hard this summer to keep him slim

They're very alike, aren't they? Same golden colour and light bellyI think and same shape. Only Hebe has the white face, and the foolish pink nose instead of Ale's elegant black one ...

Do you keep him rugged all winter? Both mine grow thick fur coats, they're never rugged.

Our grass hasn't started yet - that extra fat came from last year's grass, in the little field where the old pony lived (she'd outlived her teeth so she couldn't graze).

They are very similar! Hebe has a much much nicer tail though and dapples in her coat :inlove:

he's never been described as elegant before lol

I do, he's a bit of a wimp. He's never grown a very thick winter coat and tends to get cold quite quick, also during winter they only get hay in the mornings in the field so I feel he doesn't have food in his belly to warm him up.

He's only in a medium rug through most of the cold, wore a heavier one for about a week when it was -4 in the day and crazy wind and he would be naked now if it wasn't still dropping to -2 at night.

Spring is a bit of a nightmare, hoping to keep him doing lots of work and see how it goes, he really cannot stand muzzles but I'm lucky the field never gets too grassy.

Really do love haflingers :smile:

newrider.com