what do judges look for in m&m

Three Mares

Oct 23, 2007
Question in title. I have a 14.2 welsh section D, nice and chunky and lots of feather, she has very good breeding and very nice paces, her trot looks lovely she really lifts her legs up. Now never done in hand showing before, was going to do one earlier in the year but didnt in the end. The only thing that lets her down is she has sweet itch and despite wearing a boett all summer some of her mane has fallen out, but I am still going to give the class a go as she is absolutely gorgeous to me! If anyone can let me know what judges look for in m&m classes, I have visions of cute little mini ponies catching the judge's eye!!

this is what they look for in sec D's

whether the judge judges correctly or lets personal preferance come into his/her decision is another matter- some detest the welshie movement (are they blind! :eek: :p) and prefer the flatter connies etc
some prefer the little ponies (if not split to large and small breeds)

comes down to what happens on the day, and what the judge knows about specifically- if they dont have a clue what a 'good' highland looks like or what defines a welshie then it makes it very difficult to judge fairly.

have you got a picture (or 4 we love pictures :D) and whats her registered name out of interest?

Hope the photo comes out. Her breed name is Hydehouse Mattie. x

Attachments

• tn_BRC%20244%20016c.jpg
    tn_BRC%20244%20016c.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
ooh pretty my type of cob :D love the big white stockings!

good luck- if i was judging (on appearance alone from photos) yours would win for me!

how much is some of her mane? just a few clumps or half of it?

Agree with Loopylozza, a lot depends on the judge on the day and what they particularly know and like, it's a bit of a lottery especially at local level!

She is very nice though, I think she'd do well! Is there anyway you could tidy her mane up so that it is level or are there bald patches? Some judges will mark you down if the mane or tail is not correct but if she is a nice example of the breed it 'shouldn't' make too much difference.

Thank you! I am hoping the judge may see past the sweet itch!! Its about 6 inches from the bottom where its fallen out but regrown to about 2 inches, the top 3/4 is fineabout iits about 6 inches long so looks a bit odd as its so short at the bottom. It's only a local novice show I'm just going to give it a go and see what happens. I will keep you updated. :)

Last edited:
it wont look too bad if its just at the bottom

make sure its clean and brushed out slop some bryllcream on to smooth it down and make it shiny (smells good too ;))

when ridden you should be able to disguise it anyway with your hands.

good luck, we need an update (complete with pics) when you do the show :D

the main thing is to make a good first impression with the judge (i have got this on good authority from a friend who has won just about everything at Ponies UK and is also our RI). Make your pony really shine out as you enter the ring, you will find that although the judge just glances at you it means that they don't need to see anymore and you have made an impression straight away. Also when standing in the line up keep the pony awake and alert as the judges also watch for this.

Good luck :)

If it has grown back a bit you could put some hair extensions in. Not sure if they are legal but plenty of people use them :D

Hi everyone I'm back - we came 3rd in Mountain and Moorland class today yay, our first ever showing class. The Judge did not even mention the loss of mane (sweet itch) and said she was an outstanding purebreed :D

newrider.com