What Breed is he??

Vicki100

Jun 12, 2009
West Mids
Im thinking my lad is definatly native, you only have to look at his massive chunky neck lol!! :happy:

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas?? Id love to know where he came from and what breeding he is.

Im thinking maybe a highland influence is in there somewhere??

His ex owner hardly told me anything, she picked him up from a dealer. So god no's where & what he came from!:unsure:

Hes 13.3 and 5/6 years old

Heres some piccos, thanks for having a look! :biggrin:

DSC_0072-1.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0129-1.jpg

SDC11543.jpg

photo2.jpg

SDC11011.jpg

DSC03035-Copy-1.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...having considered Super Abbys opinion and having fossicked about within the deepest realms of my own singularly spectacular knowledge, I have concluded that he is.....

......drum roll.......

Cutus Cutus - a breed to be treasured (or at least bribed with polo's).

p.s "singularly spectacular knowledge" might be stretching the truth a tad...:redface:

Have to say he doesn't look like any of the pictures of any of the ponies in my Dorling Kindersley Horse and Pony Encyclopaedia :nerd:

But he is a dun (we think) and dun is a rare and recessive colour. So a dun-like breed must be in there somewhere. Highland maybe? Can't think Connemara... What is his mane like when it is not hogged out? And where did he get his chunky cobby head from?

It's a mystery!

I dunno - he is certainly striking. To me he looks a bit like a big Eastern European/Russian wild horse - might be my overactive imagination, his colouring and the fact that he is hogged though!

Agreed, he is really cute!

He looks buckskin to me, not dun (no bars on legs and no dorsal stripe).

Looks like he could possibly have connie in him but probably just a bit of everything a heinz 57.

I dunno - he is certainly striking. To me he looks a bit like a big Eastern European/Russian wild horse - might be my overactive imagination, his colouring and the fact that he is hogged though!

Agreed, he is really cute!

I always thought he looked like a wild horse from overseas too :giggle:

Glad its not just my imagination :giggle:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...having considered Super Abbys opinion and having fossicked about within the deepest realms of my own singularly spectacular knowledge, I have concluded that he is.....

......drum roll.......

Cutus Cutus - a breed to be treasured (or at least bribed with polo's).

p.s "singularly spectacular knowledge" might be stretching the truth a tad...:redface:

LOL!! you made me giggle!!

Cutus Cutus he is then hehehe :giggle:

Have to say he doesn't look like any of the pictures of any of the ponies in my Dorling Kindersley Horse and Pony Encyclopaedia :nerd:

But he is a dun (we think) and dun is a rare and recessive colour. So a dun-like breed must be in there somewhere. Highland maybe? Can't think Connemara... What is his mane like when it is not hogged out? And where did he get his chunky cobby head from?

It's a mystery!

Im impressed jane :happy: get you with your posh book lol!!!:giggle:

He is passported as a Dun, but as No_Angel said, he doesnt seem to have dun attributes.

His mane (before i hogged it) was quite fine, short and stuck up alover the place lol!!

He is a mystery ive never seen a pony so different looking!

Oh oh, could there be some Przewalski's horse in there????

Looky looky

Similar!

(Mind you I don't know how this could be possible as they live on the steppes of central Asia)

Attachments

• Przewalski's horse.jpg
    Przewalski's horse.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 16
I remember seeing photos of him for the first time last year and thinking highland defo, it was winter and I remember you saying not specifically highland so I abandoned that theory. Now having seen him in both summer and winter attire, I have to say I don't think he's got a highland face but still does have some of their air. He is a cheeky fella isn't he? Thats a highland trait imo!
Don't shoot me but that hogged mane is making me think zebra without the stripes. Hope you're not offended?:ninja::unsure::redface::tongue:

I remember seeing photos of him for the first time last year and thinking highland defo, it was winter and I remember you saying not specifically highland so I abandoned that theory. Now having seen him in both summer and winter attire, I have to say I don't think he's got a highland face but still does have some of their air. He is a cheeky fella isn't he? Thats a highland trait imo!
Don't shoot me but that hogged mane is making me think zebra without the stripes. Hope you're not offended?:ninja::unsure::redface::tongue:

Yep a very cheeky little man, tonight he decided to empty the contents of our grooming box all over the floor and stamp on it all :giggle::redcarded:

Not at all offended, im seeing how bushy i can get it before it flops over LOL:giggle::giggle::giggle:

He really does look like he has something like a przewalski in him. He could have some highland, he also looks like he could have bit of fjord (obvs different colour)?

I was going to ask if he is true dun,as can't see very well from pics if he has the correct markings,but am guessing not from what others have said?? He looks very light in the body for a typical buckskin,but does have the darker points associated with them.I would have said he was more like a blue dun or grulla I think it's called,but again if he doesn't have a true dorsal stripe then he can't be dun of any sort,so that not much help lol.

He reminds me a fair bit of a fjord,which funnily enough are believed to have strong links to the ancient horses he resembles!! Maybe some norwegian blood in there somewhere??

Highland would be an obvious choice if he were dun,but although he has the build and 'barrel' of one,he doesn't look like one in the face,and as dun is very dominant in that breed the fact he isn't makes it even more unlikely.

Connie I would rule out as although the buckskin colouring is present in connie's,he has no other connie characteristics,not to my eye anyway.

Do you have any idea what area he originated from?? It might give more clues as to what type of native he has in there if any,and I agree his looks are distinctly native type,must be some in there somewhere:wink:

Some regions like Cornwall have ponies like the Bodmin moor ones that are very 'native' looking but are actually a bit of a mix of native,cob types and a few more besides,maybe other areas have 'breeds' of this type?? If could get any clues as to his origins might help narrow it down.

My best guess is going to be NF x fjord with a small amount of 'who the hell knows' thrown in for good measure:tongue::biggrin:
His face reminds me of an oversized newfie,the rest of him fjord (although thinking about it dun would be almost definite if fjord were present,but that doesn't fit with my current thinking so will ignore that fact lol),and a bit of something else to explain his colour and quirkiness:giggle:

newrider.com