What bit for TB or Ex-race horse?

It varies from loose ring happy mouth snaffle to a pelham with grackle and bib martingale depending on horse and what they are doing.

Once they are reschooled they are no different from all other horses with just as much variety.

Last edited:
Loose ring snaffle. It was the first bit I put on him and i have stuck with it throughout. He didn't have any brakes when we got him but it was more to do with his lack of schooling so a stronger bit would have upset him as he has a very soft mouth and I wanted to keep it that way.

Curved eggbutt snaffle. He doesn't need anything more (for now anyway), he schools, hacks, jumps, does a bit of XC (hedge & log hopping), gallops and goes out to parties in it.

If I remember an ordinary Eggbut, But Chelseaman had no issues with headshaking or manners whatseover, I think he'd have been fine out hunting in a headcollar :D :D

Mine wears a myler comfort snaffle with hooks (without a curb)
I tried a happy mouth which he seemed fairly happy in but ate in a very short time :rolleyes:
so tried a regular snaffle which he didn't like and went everywhere like a giraffe with his ears flat back.
He seems to like the myler and so far has been the only bit he stops in although now has been out of racing longer i may try him again in a snaffle but get a thinner mouthpiece and maybe one with a centre lozenge type join rather than just one joint.

newrider.com