Western to English

Keket

Jan 26, 2004
To anyone that's done it, how hard is it to make the transition from Western riding to English riding? I'll always be a cowgirl at heart, but after I get my Western Rider Level 1, I'd like to get my English Rider Level 1.

Probably much easier than you think. I started learning English, then switched to western for many years, and switched back to English about 9 months or so ago. I was afraid I'd feel insecure, but that wasn't really a problem. At first I hated the shorter stirrups, but now I feel like, if anything, I have a more secure seat in an English saddle (because I'm less reliant on the saddle, if that makes sense). Another plus is the lighter weight of the tack :)

And there's absolutely no reason you can't alternate rides between styles as the mood strikes you :D

Grace

I sortof used to ride Western. I say sortof because it was the first two months of taking lessons that I rode western before switching to English. Once I switched I loved English so much that I decided it was the style for me. I'm really not too good at western :( Especially neck reining. Maybe some day I'll get into it but not anytime soon :)

I don't think it will be hard to switch. You just have to be ready to adjust and give yourself time to get used to it :)

~Nicole

I rode both styles, though my "home" style is english. I think one thing that helps in this is if your instructor understands both sides of the fence so can help you make the swap. Its like learning a new language - sometimes you need some help with the translation ;)

I went fom barrel racing to english.I ride in my english saddle about once a week.It wasn't as hard as i thought.But it was strange not havin a horn.It made me a much better rider though.I have great balance now.It's fun learning about new types of riding.I enjoy my english saddle very much

It's just "weird" to ride english after being a western rider- but you get used to it pretty quick. The only thing that bugs me is that if I need to scratch my nose or something I have to juggle reins (which, at least, I'm good at from riding western) It was really weird in an english saddle at first, and it took me a lesson or two before starting and stopping suddenly didn't off balance me a bit. I have really short legs, though, so right away I appreciated that my leg aids didn't have to get through so much leather and padding to communicate with Regal.

I think it's harder for a horse to transition than a rider. I am really glad I've been working with a pro trainer through the transition.

newrider.com