Western style riding?

joolie

Jun 13, 1999
Kent. UK
Visit site
Heather, I just wondered on your views on this style of riding. You say in your book that your style is the only kind way to ride which I wouldn't disagree with generally.

This weekend I went on a hack with an Australian guide who rides his horse in a Aussie bush saddle (looked like a Western) and just a pressure halter (the rope type).
I watched them carefully for a few hours riding and they presented a very relaxed, happy relationship to me. Apparently the weight is used a lot, but not the legs they way we do. The English way of constant fussing with legs and aids suddenly seemed unecessary.

I would be interested to know your views.

HI Joolie,

Western riding came from the Classical riding of the Spanish Conquistadores, so I hve a lot in common with Western riders. I was lecturing for Your Horse mag at their reader day a couple of weeks ago, and did a demo shortly beofre our top Western ride, Bob Mayhew, who apparently then alluded to my demo throughout his, saying how similarly we rode and taught!

I have know this for a long time, and have admired Bob as a very fine western rider for ages. I had not had the chance ot meet him before, and we got on like a house on fire! The Western Equestrian Society alwasy is supportive of me, and I likewise of them.

I have sent students to Bob Mayhew down in Hampshire to learn Western if they can't find a Classical teacher, as I know that much of what he would teach them would apply anywy! So, as you can see Western riding gets a big thumbs up from me.

Heather

Thanks for the response Heather, but don't they ride a VERY different way?

The weight is all to the back of the saddle with the legs all out to the front, the idea of being able to whip the horse away and land perfectly balanced on your feet wouldn't work would it?

Depends very much on the style of Western riding. Some forms advocate sitting back with legs stuck forward, but not the Equitation seat, which is very similar to the Classical seat. I was trying a Western saddle at the Equitana in kentucky last year, and the lady asked me if I were a championship Western equitation rider. 'Gee, you have a perfect seat', she said. I replied that I am not a Western rider, but a Classical dressage rider. She knew about the similarities. So, there are slightly differing forms of Western as well as English riding!

Heather

newrider.com