Went on an evening hack - in company!!

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Got to the yard this evening and a friend who owns an ex racehorse asked if I wanted to go on a little hack. I explained my hacking issues and said that as long as it was on my terms then I would give it a try.

Well, it was perfect. We just walked and both horses were very calm and apart from some head tossing at the flies were perfectly well behaved. It was only a short hack, but very chilled out and we might even do it again next week.

I haven't been out with anyone else for weeks and didn't think that I wanted to, but tonight was so nice I might try and be brave more often. I think Ben enjoyed the company rather than going out on his own all the time.

Just wanted to share what is a big achievement for us.

Deep breaths and do it again if you have someone who is willing to go at your speed and conditions keep in with them, hacking is the whole point of leisure riding and is so enjoyable. If this person is willing to stick to your plan and go out even once a week it will do you confidence no end of good and you will be on a high for hours afterwards, who knows you might even try to up the pace as well after a while. I would also add horses need to get out and about as well stops them getting bored and challenges them.

Thanks guys. We do ride out in the fields on our own at the weekends, but I get extra nervous riding out in company. We normally ride in the school during the weekday evenings so this was a nice mid week change for him. I would love to do one mid week hack along with our weekend ones. I have never ridden out with this horse and rider before and I found her to be very calm and did not try and 'push' me to do more than I wanted to do. Just the fact that she didn't try and push made actually made me want to do more myself.

The only thing that both horses spooked at was my friends husband sunbathing reading a book back at the yard. Ben kept snorting and puffing at him and even when I got off he kept wanted to go back and see if he was still there.

Got to do some proper schooling tonight in prepartion for our lesson tomorrow! Really hope that I don't spend the whole night throwing up again as I have before every other lesson I have had!

newrider.com