Welsh studs

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
bit of a daydream really as i don't have the room to take on a 3rd horse just yet. but i was wondering if the welsh section D enthusiasts on here could give me a few hints and bits of advice. next neddy WILL be a registered section D, preferrably a foal/youngster for me to back and bring on myself. what bloodlines should i look for? and anyone any reccomendations for studs to buy from? preferrably north england/scotland. also any hints on what to look for when buying a foaly much appreciated as its something we haven't done before.

This would be a good place to start; the Scottish Welsh Pony & Cob Association. It's probably the best way to get to know the cobs and their breeders in your area, and if you go to their shows you'll get to see the stock in action too.

http://www.swpca.org/index.htm

You'll probably find a lot of the foals from the bigger studs are not handled much (if at all) until weaning. Most studs welcome visitors to view foals before then, which gives you a chance to see them at liberty with their mums. Look for a foal that's curious, and wants to stand and see what's going on even if you can't actually stroke them. Look for one whose mum is happy to be approached and enjoys being with people.

Conformation wise, look for a good front with a well laid back shoulder and a foal that moves freely. Some cobs have an impressive knee action but not much else - a good length of stride when they move is much better. Tail shouldn't be too low, and the quarters should be powerful and fairly level. Head shouldn't be plain - but very pony-like heads are frowned upon. (The pics of Blod on the dark bay or black thread are a good example of what to look for - she is actually a very nice example, although lots of foals are chunkier at that age - which is great :D ) Some lines mature very slowly - Blod is from Fronarth Victor lines who do lay bone down later and chunk out significantly. Others will look heavy to start with, and kind of grow into themselves. Cannon bones should be short, bone should be dense and flat.

Some lines are ideal for driving, while others are more riding type cobs. The ridden cobs should not be light of bone; but they do tend to be longer in the back and less upright in front (if you look at some of the cobs that do well in-hand you'll see they have a very upright front, huge movement and are sometimes quite short in the back, while ridden cobs are better suited to working in an outline under saddle) so if you plan to ride rather than drive (or as well as) look for foals that have ridden cobs in their pedigree.

There is no real 'corrrect' type; this is Teleri, who is chunkier and more compact than Blod, but neither is more typey or correct than the other.

Teleri.jpg

Blod would probably make a better prospect for work like dressage; Teleri would do workers and probably drive nicely. How well either would do in the show ring would depend on what types of cob the judges like. As long as they both conform to the standard (which is really open to interpretation) it's impossible to say which is the better example.

As for bloodlines... it's difficult to avoid Nebo Black Magic in cob breeding, but if you buy a filly I'd try and look for a pedigree where he doesn't crop up too many times (it's not unheard of for him to be registered as five out of eight great grandparents, for example...) just in case you want to breed later. No reflection of NBM as a sire; but it does make it easier to find a sire that's not too closely bred later on. Nebo usually breed cobs with good movement and lots of front and plenty of bone. Fronarth lines give some beautiful cobs; they're quality cobs that tend to be good under saddle. (Ok, I'm biased - all three of my cobs are Fronarth lines...) There's a mare called Trofarth Ebony who's qualified for Olympia this year - I'm sure she's Fronarth lines too.

Try looking at this site - it shows a lot of the most famous cobs (mares, stallions and geldings) and gives you a chance to study what breeding crops up in what cobs too.

http://homepages.manx.net/welsh-cobs/Default.htm

Last edited:
Thanks chev, i'd hoped you'd reply to this :D i've heard of the Nebo line, also Parc Welsh Flyer seems to crop up a lot too. we looked at a mare before we bought toby who was a Morlyn cob. any opinions on them?

Parc cobs are lovely - big old-fashioned cobs that really cover the ground. I love some of the Derwen cobs too - some are a little light for my taste but there are some that just make you think 'Wow!'

Don't know much of the Morlyn cobs - I know they're based in Devon but I'm not sure what lines they're based on.

There are two quite well known prefixes up in Scotland that would be worth checking out - one is Durris, and the other is... can't remember now. Will have a think and edit when it comes back to me! :eek: Durris had or have (not sure sorry) a stallion called Janton Dictator, who is stunning. Janton bred some really lovely cobs; another stallion was Janton Herald, who was sold to Europe.

newrider.com