Welsh ponies... how much can they carry?

xGeorgiax

Aug 6, 2016
Hi, I'm just wondering how much weight a welsh pony (Section A or B) can carry (Nothing smaller than around 11.2hh though).

I am tall (5ft 7/8), but I am able to balance well on smaller ponies, which I know can contribute to how a pony copes with a bigger rider. I have no idea exactly how much I weigh, but I'm definitely of a slim build.

A B might be able to carry you at that height, but I doubt unless you are seriously willowy a Welsh A could cope with an adult your height. 7.5 stone maybe 8 at a max but you;d have to be well balanced with a good length of stirrup to offset your height

We in the past used sec c's at national level driving comps they were on the border of sec b/c and I used to ride exercise them as well. I was approx 5'10 and 11stone however these ponies were as fit as they come and equally had very strong backs from the driving. They would trot 15/20 miles without blinking. The ponies fitness is equally as important :) I did look big on them but they were more then capable, but primarily driving ponies so we're not lugging me around full time

I have a welsh B pony (approx 13h) lightly built sportier type model :p

I wouldn't put more than 9 stone on her to be honest, I weigh around 7.5 stone which she has no issue with but not sure I'd feel comfortable putting any more on her.

We in the past used sec c's at national level driving comps they were on the border of sec b/c and I used to ride exercise them as well. I was approx 5'10 and 11stone however these ponies were as fit as they come and equally had very strong backs from the driving. They would trot 15/20 miles without blinking. The ponies fitness is equally as important :) I did look big on them but they were more then capable, but primarily driving ponies so we're not lugging me around full time
Friend has a HDT team of As and one of her adult grooms rides them for a change of scenery and schooling, her adult groom was about 5 foot and teeny. 7 stone at the most. C with 11 stone fit as fiddles would be fine.

Am starting to lay things out. The B & C options are already plotted, but am wondering how much A trails to add for you A riders. Please fill out the survey above, so I can get an idea how much to put into it
thanks,
-Tom

Colour me confused.......

newrider.com