Wanting to be more serious

Candi

Apr 29, 2003
Visit site
I have recently started riding again. I have to say I'm so glad to be back in the saddle, but I'm starting to get a wee bit frustrated. I only ride once a week right now and am back at the basics, but don't feel I'm progressing. I'm not sure I like the lesson I'm in. 6 people with limited control make it difficult to practice and really master things. I'm thinking of switching barns, but here's the big question. Do I increase my number of lessons per week, or do I look at part boarding and doing lessons so I can practice twice a week as well as a lesson. Right now I think financially they work out the same which is fine. I'm just really not to sure. I want to get quite serious and hopefully get up to a competing level within the next year. Even if it is only small courses. Help!

Remember QUALITY and not QUANTITY. I drifted between three barns before I settled in to where Im at now. Riding 5 days a week with an instructor who isnt suited to you will do no good. Riding one day a week at a quality place where you learn the right way is all you need. If you really want to get serious, then find this place, and ride as much as your budget allows. If you are still enjoying yourself, then look into a part loan option. The best way to learn is hands on but make sure you're into the committment first.

Good luck
Toots

There is a great deal of truth in what Tootsie4U says, but quantity will also help tone and stretch all the right bits in the right places...but only if you do good quality work! It's a bit of a catch 22!

By the way, never take anything with horses seriously!:D Keep laughing especially at yourself then you'll go far!;)

Ooooo, you're just like me! :)

Look for an instructor that is willing to work with you plus that you feel comfortable with! Big time. You could get an instructor that lets you ride more but doesn't teach a thing. I had that happen to me because just like you, I wanted to ride more and get things down right. I switched to another instructor at the same stable mind you, and I rode 4 times a week but I didn't feel like I was learning anything from her. So I switched right back to my old instructor, told her what I needed/wanted and voila, now I ride 5 times a week and go out on a saturday hack as well. When I start leasing, I'll ride 3 times a week and use the other days to perfect things. My old instructor explains everything which is what I adore and need. I'm sure that if you explain what your goals are, then things can be worked out to accomodate you.:D

i have the perfect instructor!!

I knew him i used to ride his horse which i love to bits but sadly died and the other semi retired now.

He really pushed me, which is great he really make me feel the movement of the horse aswell, when i get my new horse he is very happy to give me lessons again which is great- i get them free aswell, i get along with my instructor but sometimes he frightens me lol because hes so up front and puts you on the spot but i like him for that!

Hes had alot expereince too owned his own yard in london, showjumping alot of things

Hes just GREAT

newrider.com