Waiting for Rhias blood test results

MissMare

Mar 6, 2008
Rhia isn't having a good time of it at the moment :( it seems to have been one thing after another.

First she had a bout of colic- put down to stress- possibly because there had been a lot of helicopter action, but actually I am thinking more and more it is because I have been so ill. I am herd leader, then her, and she has 3 fairly needy others to look after. Me not being around as much and when I was, being useless was definitely stressing her out.

Anyway- bloods from this episode showed probably stress and pain and not eating for a while (she was living out un-muzzled). But vet said to worm as a precaution (she was due anyway) and if anything persisted to follow up.

Well yesterday, the vet came to check bloods again. She is wheezing on breathing- which was main reason I called- she isn't breathing well when working (possible pollen/dust problem) she has developed sweet itch (NEVER had before), and she is getting hair loss through hormonal problems. :frown: all this from just the last few months. I have had her for nearly 10 years- and although age is against her (17)- she has always been healthy.

It feels like her immune system is weakened. So I am doing my research to see what I can do for her- if anyone has any suggestions please share. :unsure:

So, I am waiting for usual blood results, and a Cushings test and seeing where we go from here. (Along with vet recommendations which we are already following).

I can't give any advice but am so sorry to hear that she's been unwell and sending lots of healing vibes!

PFB is your gal for lots of suggestions as she's been through hell and back with Sil's issues, so would strongly consider using the products she's mentioned.

Thanks- thanks PFB, I have used Restore before, infact have recommended it to a few people. I will try the Immuplus too :) I am actually wondering myself whether all this is a reaction to something you know. She has been on Top Spec Anti-Lam for a few months now, her and Holly have been on it (vets advice) and it has been amazing for Holly but I am wondering if it is the cause of Rhias "turn". I stopped it a few days ago anyway. We shall see.

Thanks for your well wishes :) still waiting for vet to call. Which hopefully means good news :spin:

Pink powder is meant to be good if they're a bit depleted too. Fingers crossed for the results, any news?

And perhaps some yea-sacc for gut stuff...

Thistles and nettles are great for liver and general detox.

I haven't quite managed to get my head around the top spec anti lam... contains molasses, wheat feed, leftover oat stuff and grass meal... a whole handful of things that would send Silver off her trolley... yet its an anti lam feed? Not convinced I have to admit, though it seems to help some.

If you want a simple feed, halleys chops have been good for us - I use the timothy hay chop (plain chop, nothing in it) but a bit high in sugar ideally - they do an oat straw chop too, and some alfalfa chops though I avoid these as well as she doesn't tolerate alfalfa LOL... or soya oil hence the switch from the dengie/mollichop stuff. Halleys timothy is £23 for 40kg delivered I think :) though a warning it lasts a lot longer than other feeds as it is dry so none of the weight is moisture... 1/4 bag fills my black bin... we've got enough for a year I think!

Thanks PFB :) - yes, I was never convinced with Top Spec Anti Lam and always fed herbs- my vets rate it and always recommend, and after Holly was having problems with being lame I decided she was lacking something (probably ammino acids) and decided rather than fit another herb into her diet I would give it a shot and tbh, she has never been better. Not been footy at all, and came sound and is really buzzing atm. It seems to really work for her (and is easy).

After that I thought, balls to it, easier if I just use it for Rhia too and boy how wrong was I. I can't put everything down to that, thinking back she had a real buzz glow to her coat for a while then all these problems started. Freja had it for a while and she just ballooned in weight.

Luckily all Rhia's bloods including Cushings have come back clear :dance: so I am going to go back to scratch and give her immune system a kick up the ass! Then re-asses the situation. I have come across a couple of things I may start her on and have spoken to Globalhers but atm it's a clear out and a boost she needs. Then slowly start work again.

PFB- She had Yea-Sacc in her original mix before we switched to :banghead: Anti Lam! She can't deal with soya either (hormonal problems with it and it is basically a bad food all round soya) Looks like I have to go back to the drawing board and come up with a plan!

Quite relieved and feeling positive about things now :)

Thanks Jane, I have just ordered a load of stuff from Globalherbs, and have had a look at your friends website for future reference.

newrider.com