viewing a horse!!!!!!

kathryn evans

Oct 9, 2014
Hi everyone i am going to view a horse saturday, she is a 10 yr old gypsy cob broke to ride and drive she belongs to a 50 yr old man he is said she is so bombproof that you could ride her down a busy A road i have seen her pics and she looks like a scruff but the man has said she is so bombproof and confident in what he is saying he will let me have her for a month on trial, which is great but i know she isnt cared for in the way i care for my horses (not being nasty) i doubt she has had dentist in a while etc ect, he does love her but typical farmer type bloke.

he reckons i wont get one any more bombproof than her and she does sound fab for me, i think this mare will need a little TLC she is like a scruff bag which im not used to all lol my question is would this pt you off viewing of buying or am i just being over causious

If he's willing to let you have her on trial for a month then he really is putting his money where his mouth is. If she's as bombproof as he says and that is what you want in a horse, then the other stuff can be dealt with.... hooves, teeth, coat etc.....

Good luck, let us know how you get on on Sat :)

Thank you i will i need a horse that is fab in traffic and to hack because i have a long lasting back injury, she sounds perfect i think im just so used to seeing horses in lovely fields on livery yards...and she isnt like that he has td me he rides like a cowboy but she will be fab for me

The trial sounds like a good plan - if she is under weight/under fed you may find she livens up with more food is the only thing I would wonder about :)

Dirt and grime can be worked on :) Good luck!

Reactions: Cortrasna
Just a note of caution: everyone says their horse is bombproof! I don't know what the deal is with the farmer, but I'd be wary of paying all the money up front until you've tried the horse, in case it doesn't work out and he then changes his mind about having her back. I would get an experienced friend to come with you and give you a second opinion if you are worried about her appearance - maybe ride her for you down the A road. I know I sound like the messenger of doom but don't believe what people say about their horses until you've tried the horse for yourself, as a lot will say anything to get a sale!

I echo squidsin's comments in afraid. A lot of horses take their confidence from the rider and this one may well be bombproof with the farmer, but another horse altogether with a new rider. That being said, you can't judge until you ride, but it can take a few weeks for the real test to come - when the horse starts to challenge boundaries. I think that's why it's so difficult to find the perfect partner, but if you're able to have a trial, that would be great. Just be sure this farmer dude checks out and isn't going to abandon you with a poorly horse that is older than he says and has issues - that's what I'd be most worried about. Get a vetting done if you do decide to buy.

Just be a little careful that she is too old and knackered to be anything but a plod! I really hope she isn't, but if he will let you take her on a months trial WITHOUT paying for her first, then go ahead. If after the first coople opf weeks you are happy enough with her then get her check thoroughly by a vet.

The term bombproof also leaves a lot to be desired - I'd say Gem was bombproof, however my experienced mother finds her quite spooky and difficult - she'll cope with helicopters etc, but thinks nothing of slamming on the brakes to spin when going fast for a classic spook. However I can take her down a busy A road, buses doing 60 etc without a spook, she does trec obstacles well too, if she's well practiced and in the mood!

Good luck though, she may be perfect but make sure the scraggy look isn't hiding anything making her more sedate. Even being really overweight can make them a bit lack lustre. Also, a '10yo' can hid many ages, so make sure she's passported and it matches up - might even be worth trying to find a date from when it was applied for (you may need to ring PIO).

If she looks scruffy but rides perfectly, you can fix the scruffiness.

If she rides badly but looks beautiful, it's a lot harder to fix.

Is she the right height? The right age? Can she do what you want to do? Can you pay a deposit, have her on trial and give her back if she doesn't suit? If so she sounds fantastic. And we'd love to see pictures!

Did you get it in writing that it's only for a trial period, and that you'd get your money back if it doesn't work out?

My advice is to not trust anything anyone tells you about a horse being 'bombproof'. My advice is to take an experienced friend to visit the horse and make sure that the owner rides the horse first.

Being 'scruffy' wouldn't bother me at all, but pay very careful attention to his feet.

Bombproof riders make bombproof horses, don't they ?
Good luck with the viewing, a months trail sounds more than fair.
Don't worry about the cob looking a bit untidy, good feet matter, scruffiness doesn't.

newrider.com