Veteran Inhand Showing Class as a complete beginner!

Fen

Nov 10, 2014
Hello All

Please can anyone advise me. I've had my arm twisted by a younger friend, also with a veteran, to (if we are allowed out) take our neddies to a local show at the end of June. We are going to be in the Inhand Veteran Class. My girl is a Connemara, 15hh, 20 plus years old, retired. She is hogged and I keep her tail tidy although not strictly pulled. We have never been showing before as we have had a happy life of hacking and I am wetting myself at the thought of it already :D
Please can someone older (that will be hard!) and wiser (that won't be hard) advise me as to our wardrobes? Madam normally goes in a happy mouth snaffle and a cavesson.
I'm looking for All The Information Please, from what do I wear, fit, colour etc, to her tack, colour etc! Just assume I know nothing (I don't!) and go from there please!
I can't thank you enough x

I think if her tail is neat enough it will be fine. How come she's hogged? (just being nosey). I think beige trousers and a white shirt for yourself (from memory at the local show here) and either a waistcoat or jacket (depending on how hot it will be where you live). I think at low level as long as you are smart and neat there isn't a very strict dress code. Probably short jodh boots in black or brown would be fine. My friend shows in hand every year at the local show here and generally wears beige jeans / white shirt and short boots - she does have a brown tweed jacket for cooler days too. I'm sure there are lots of people on here that will know more.

I think if her tail is neat enough it will be fine. How come she's hogged? (just being nosey). I think beige trousers and a white shirt for yourself (from memory at the local show here) and either a waistcoat or jacket (depending on how hot it will be where you live). I think at low level as long as you are smart and neat there isn't a very strict dress code. Probably short jodh boots in black or brown would be fine. My friend shows in hand every year at the local show here and generally wears beige jeans / white shirt and short boots - she does have a brown tweed jacket for cooler days too. I'm sure there are lots of people on here that will know more.
Thank you, that's very helpful! I hog her as she has a useless mane that never comes to anything and a gorgeous head (pic attached!)

Attachments

• 20200401_090919.jpg
    20200401_090919.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 7
TAS_1416d copy.jpg
NCK_1545s.JPG

This is us in veteran classes at Border Union Show where he came 4th overall and 2nd in his age group the one in blue are at Peebles Show20180811_113827-1-1.jpg

Reactions: Huggy
I know nothing about showing either, but when i did a little local show with my cob a few years ago I had no attire for showing so I just wore my black office trousers and a smart brown jacket. If you have a friend that has showing gear then I would ask to borrow theres for the day. No point spending out if its just a one off show, unless is going to qualify for other shows or you envisage doing more.

I shampooed my boy the day before. Ive never pulled his tail, I wouldnt know how. He went as clean as I could make his whites.

I just used his everyday leather headcollar and lead rope. Scrubbed up. Its all I had.
It was the taking part that counted.

Hi, no showing expert here, I just remember that you’re meant to wear trousers the opposite to your horse, if their dark you wear light, if light you wear dark. Short dark boots or shoes and a smart shirt and jacket. Generally for showing tack it’s brown and a Newmarket coupler if using a bit. But most importantly enjoy it 🙂 my old yard had a mantra for showing ’tits and teeth’ (it meant smile and don’t slouch) 😉

Absolutely gorgeous! Look at those dapples! Thank you
we probably get marked down for showing in a rope halter and my attire but my bum is too bloody big in jodhs to be exposed to a showring. one year at the border union it was 32 degrees utterly boiling in a tweed jacket so i found the waistcoat cooler especially when you have to run around a big ring which that show has, he is a wonderful showman, the judge said since it is hot just trot half the ring but the old bugger took off and there was no stopping him from strutting his stuff the whole circuit....

I just remember that you’re meant to wear trousers the opposite to your horse, if their dark you wear light, if light you wear dark. Short dark boots or shoes and a smart shirt and jacket.
Yes i heard that too. Maybe because youve already posted it previously on here.
Either way it sounds like a good rule of thumb.
Actually i also feel better for knowing this as chunky is mainly white, when i did my show class it means by default of me wearing dark trousers and jacket i was dressed correctly for the show ring even though i had no idea back then.

Its actually one of a few pictures i can hand on heart say im actally proud to look at of myself.
So my one and only show debut produced a special moment in my life.
Im not posting it up but i just had to go off and find it to remind myself. Just made myself cry looking back. Was in 2014. Chunky in his harness, pulling the chain harrows round the show ring.
I even had a black tie on for added smartness. Oh i did look plush.

This is Ziggy and me entering the in hand class at our local show almost 10 years ago *sigh*.

I am wearing black jodhpur boots and chaps - much more comfortable for running about than long boots, plus I only have hacking-type long boots. I thought my flat hat was very suitable and smart.

He also had a rubbish mane. I think Connies are folic ally challenged!
1614782757676.jpeg

We came nearly last, by the way!

• Love
This is Ziggy and me entering the in hand class at our local show almost 10 years ago *sigh*.

I am wearing black jodhpur boots and chaps - much more comfortable for running about than long boots, plus I only have hacking-type long boots. I thought my flat hat was very suitable and smart.

He also had a rubbish mane. I think Connies are folic ally challenged!
View attachment 105640

We came nearly last, by the way!
Awww what a happy pair! Boo hiss to the judges!

newrider.com