Update and fed up of the ice now!!

mlp2

Nov 28, 2007
Near the sea
Thought it was time I did a quick update, some of you may have read my post in hacking about my pony and my traumas with hacking him alone. Well he is getting much better:D
We have been hacking a few times recently with some people we used to hack with regularly and in between I have been taking him out alone. After he went out well with the others I realised that basically he had me just where he wanted me so one day I just argued back with him stayed on him and made him go. Since then we have gone out without any problems, he still looks at things sometimes but hasn't properly planted. We even managed a short walk out in the snow last weekend when it first arrived.
Unfortunately the yard is down a single track lane which never gets gritted and all the snow has now turned to about an inch thick layer of ice:(
I was supposed to have gone on an organised beach ride today but there is no way I can get the trailer out to the main road so am now really fed up:mad: All the main roads are clear and the ride is definately going ahead but i just can't get him there, and we can't even just go out for a hack because of all the ice. Just want it all to go away now.

I'm finding the ice very depressing, as the lane to where I keep my horses has been solid ice for nearly a week and a half, I cant even get up there by car, so have to struggle walking, as even my walking boots cant grip on the ice, so it's very tedious going.
I'm starting to get fed up of walking to the yard, of doing my horses in general, as I'm no longer getting any joy out of it. It's not their fault, I love them to bits, but my heart is no longer in it:( It's all getting too much, and I see no end too it in the near future:(
I cant even jump out of bed in the mornings, bright eyed and raring to go any more.. my oh has to get me up, and even then it takes hours to get motivated.. this is more than likely winter related, as up until the clocks go back, I'm reasonably ok.
I miss the long days of summer, and yearn for its return....

the ice is driving me mad too, the yard and lane leading to it are a giant skating rink and I'm reluctant to move my horse more than a yard or two from her stable where the ice has melted a little. She literally walks out a step and has to turn round to be tied just outside her stable, how boring! She's not at all bothered though thankfully and is for once behaving like a model ponio compared to some of the others who are desperate to go out again.

When is the ice going to go away????!!!!

(and why isnt is bad enough to prevent me going to work?! work that one out!)

It does feel like it's been there forever, and am hoping we miss the next load they have now forecast. This afternoon the ice had melted a bit and I only slid a bit turning into the yard. Got completely stuck on the ice the other day, blocking the lane in the process, and had to rush to get a spade and some grit to clear the narrow verge so i could get one wheel back onto it in order to go forwards, thankfully it worked.
Anyway i know i made the right decision in not risking the ride as we had freezing fog yesterday afternoon as well and i wouldn't have enjoyed towing in that, and hopefully it will have melted enough tomorrow to risk a short hack:)
And for all of us who feel like winter has lasted forever this last week, we are past the shortest day so each day has to get better now, and it will be spring soon...

The car managed the lane for the first time in 10 days today :D
We've got rain/sleet at the moment, and I'm kind of hoping it stays that way!:rolleyes:

I'm desperate to get riding again - haven't been out since a week last Thursday. Some of the roads are ok so could ride round but the yard where we mount is like a skating rink and not worth taking the risk.:( Just hope it melts enough to get out before the next lot comes.

Our yard itself is ok (it's enclosed so been using for turnout with the large corner stable open), when it first turned to ice on it we gritted well and then broke up and removed about 10 wheelbarrows full of ice so that it would still be safe for the ponies, but the school is still too icy for me to want to ride in. Have looked at the forecast and we should in theory only get rain tomorrow.

I feel so guilty because i'm off work now as we shut for Christmas until the new year and normally would do loads with Shadow at this time, but at the minute all I seem to get done is clearing poo and shoving more hay their way.

Ponies in the snow early last week

Attachments

• Photo615.jpg
    Photo615.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 12
awww, I love that photo of the ponies in the snow!

Thank goodness it has warmed up a little and the ice is finally going away! The lane to my farm is now easily drivable but the yard itself is still very icey and therefore slippery. I just hope it stays mild for long enough to melt it all before it goes cold again!

I have never known such bad ice. I work as an Orthopaedic Medical Secretary and this week has seen record attendances for people falling on the ice. All the wards are full of people who have fallen and the clinics are crazy. So much so that our Plaster Room ran out of plaster cast material yesterday! :eek:

Alison xx

our place is utterly lethal we are running out of deep snow to walk in, which is safe, and the rest of it is just ice.....

and there is not a bit of salt/grit to be found anywhere to try to make it better!

we've just had more snow today and its likely to freeze again tonight. I hope its thawed by riding lesson time sunday i have had to miss one this week already :(

So glad to hear you are making progress with hacking out. Makes such a difference when the horses will go out. SO much mroe freedom.

The weather is lethal. I have been walking to yard (which makes me wonder why I take the car down anyway lol)

Jen
x

well i am in shock, went to get rosie in, leg dangling, couldn't move, thought she had fractured it as we couldn't get her to put any weight on it and she was in shock, breathing shallow, cold.

managed to get her to stagger part of the way to the stables, as unless we could get her in she was a goner anyway, vet came, looks like she has managed to cut herself very badly into the joint, but hopefully not a fracture. so box rest, dressings and hope for the best.

i am in shock myself, i really thought i was waiting for him to come and put her to sleep as we just could not move her and the leg was about 18 inches off the ground, and she kept staggering and grunting and groaning.

Ours are still in at the yard we haveresorted to walking them up and down pat of the out door school on the bits that are starting to melt, and then back into the stables its been a week now and they are coping really well, but its so unfair, and we darent risk getting them to the fields which are just as bad, roll on spring or at least THE BIG THAW because dunno how they will cope being in for a few more days
So sorry about Rosie hope she makes a good recovery

she is a bit better today, bolshy more her usual self, leg is very swollen but wound is clean and no pus or fluid coming out, can't get her injection done as she is going to kill me so that's a no no.

she is putting weight on it much better, and also moving around the box without wincing and groaning, so she isn't as sore. not eating very well but we'll have to get some treats for her to encourage as they have now prescribed medicine for in her food.

newrider.com