Uncle Ziggy hacks in company

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I know you'll hassle me for pictures - sorry - I didn't have a chance to take any.

Ziggy and I went out this morning with my friend Suzi and her five year old filly Izzy, who has just been backed. Izzy is a very clever, bold, marish mare, who gets her way with the boys in the field, but she was very different on only her second ever hack out (her first was 10 mins following Ziggy being led, two weeks ago)!

She clung behind Ziggy snorting like a grampus and staring at everything. Ziggy was looking lovely - I had plenty of time to groom him, he has his fuzziest new winter PJs on, and he was wearing his beautiful blue rhythm beads. He rolled his eyes at the snorting monster and carried on.

Up the lane we went, turned right down the bridlepath, a little tiny section of narrow path (where Izzy was very unsure about the bushes brushing against her flanks), then back to the road and home. At the little bridge on the way back a car politely waited for us on the far side, leaving only a narrow space for us to pass - not their fault, the road is very narrow. Ziggy went first and Izzy behind him. She wanted to leap past that car! But Ziggy just strolled in front and she used him as a bumper. Bump - bump - bump - but Uncle Ziggy was imperturbable.

After the car Izzy trotted briskly up the 10m of lane to the field gate and Ziggy pricked his ears and trotted after her!

A very successful outing. Thank you Uncle Ziggy.

He was showing just what a good responsible boy he is. Grown up and sensible Zigmiester, you should be very very proud of him. :biggrin:

newrider.com