Two days 'intensive'! Lots of fun, some bruises, some questions...

Arabesque

Arab mad horse obssessive
Jul 22, 2002
Northumberland, UK
Visit site
Hi everyone
I am back at work after 2 days holiday which were spent intensively riding- what better way to spend your time off?!
On Wednesday I travelled over to Cumbria to ride at Blackdyke stables, a BHS examination centre. I had two 45 minute private lessons on two different horses. Both of them were absolutely GORGEOUS, so responsive, and the lessons were fantastic. I did lots of riding around with no stirrups in both trot and canter- my legs and hips were screaming for mercy! I came back across country and dropped straight into my local riding school for a group lesson of another 45 minutes. It was really the kind of day you would have dreams about as a kid, the whole day of heading to a lesson or riding in a lesson.
Yesterday Gill and I went on a really fun jaunt and took the ponies for a lovely hack in the woods, they were little stars both of them and it was just such gorgeous scenery, I was in heaven! Definitely the most fun session for just relaxing and drinking in the surroundings-THANK YOU Gill, it was AMAZING! Then I had to rush straight off for another private lesson, at another school. That went well as despite my panicked blithering beforehand about my leg position my instructor was really pleased and the horse, who I love to bits, went well. So in two days I have had my leg across five different horses and ponies, and it's been so much fun- why can't I quit my job and do this all the time?! :)

Anyway, I have some queries!
I ALWAYS bruise on my inner right thigh. Not the left. I have a real shiner there now- it's enormous! So am I to assume I am less supple through my right side than my left and that the lack of free movement is causing the bruising?

I have slight aches in my legs- a lot less than I thought I'd get, but the real pain is across my shoulders. I suspect one of the horses had a tendency to lean on my hands, and another has a terrible habit of throwing her head down against me- she was extremely bad for this on that day- is this what's caused the aching?

One instructor told me my legs must relax and come forward, relax and come forward- I slowly got the hang of that yet one lesson later an instructor was telling me to draw my leg back and under.. has anyone else found real contradictions on their position when they ride with different instructors? I have been assured it could have been the saddle- how will I know when to let my leg come forward and when to put it back?

Anyway, that's been my experience of 'going intensive' can't recommend it enough really!

Arabesque said:
I ALWAYS bruise on my inner right thigh. Not the left. I have a real shiner there now- it's enormous! So am I to assume I am less supple through my right side than my left and that the lack of free movement is causing the bruising?

Snap.

Hopefully someone will tell us why. Thought I had got out of it, but its starting again.

Libbyo :)

At the moment no. Checked kleathers as well. Must be to do with gripping. But Why one side and always the same side!?

Libbyo :)

Sometimes it can be the saddle that effect position. I had a wintac saddle for years on my horse and because it was the first saddle I rode in I did not know anything else. My new instructor got on hated the saddle and suggested I buy another one, so went looking for one, sat in loads and loads and got a feel of what was comfortable for me. Got a new saddle, fits me and my horse and never looked back. Now I know the saddle is comfortable and not pushing my position forward as the old one was I can concentrate on actually getting my position better. Best thing to do is get on a horse bareback get the feel of what a 'normal' position feels like to you, some of us are hollow backed, some round shoulded etc and does effect the way we ride, so find out what you are and then get an instructor to make the adjustments in you position. A good way of just concentating on your position is to be lunged on a good horse, so someone else has control and you can just get on with focusing on your position.
But like you say if we could just ride horses all day - well heaven on earth!!!
Would also agree with post re stirrups, pull the buckle down the front of the stirrup and then put of the front of the saddle, does mean not stick in your thigh when your leg drops down - my instructor tells me off if I do not do it, but now I know why!!! Stopped me getting bruised Oh wise instructor!!!

newrider.com