turning out in boots - but which kind? AGGGHHHH !

chickyd444

Jasper 1993-2008 'Legend'
ok it would appear my TB is very good at knocking her hind pasterns and inside fetlocks when out at play (turnout :p ) any recommendations for boots she can wear out in the field ? And is there anything she could wear in the winter out on muddyish ground that wont encourage mf etc , thank you x:) all advice and recommendations welcome ;)

http://www.equilibriumproducts.com/horse_care/boots_wraps_or_chaps/

Take a look at the
Chaps
Designed to offer your horse's legs extra protection during turnout Chaps extend down over the pastern, coronary band and sensitive heel area to provide extra protection to these vulnerable areas:

Equi-Chaps Close Contact Chaps - to help prevent mud fever

Equi-Chaps Hardy Chaps - to help prevent leg injury during turnout

you can get named turnout boots. and also boots for mudfever.. that would also stop her knocking,

IF you find she knocks when ridden the old fasion sausage boots works wonders.. BUT (here i get boring and personal)

id put money on the fact shes actually unlevel behind, this would be due to mucscel wastage. the trainer that had her in racing.. is notorius for not letting them down properely. get somebody to walk and trot her up for you. in a couple of months when youve hacked more etc your proberely find she opens up on the back end.

my old tb., i used weights on. (as reccomended by a vet) just wristbands for humans but weighted, to put a bit more effort into the back legs being picked up. NEVER did i use them ridden, they had a habit of slipping!

*shuts up now*

you can get named turnout boots. and also boots for mudfever.. that would also stop her knocking,

IF you find she knocks when ridden the old fasion sausage boots works wonders.. BUT (here i get boring and personal)

id put money on the fact shes actually unlevel behind, this would be due to mucscel wastage. the trainer that had her in racing.. is notorius for not letting them down properely. get somebody to walk and trot her up for you. in a couple of months when youve hacked more etc your proberely find she opens up on the back end.

my old tb., i used weights on. (as reccomended by a vet) just wristbands for humans but weighted, to put a bit more effort into the back legs being picked up. NEVER did i use them ridden, they had a habit of slipping!
*shuts up now*

well tbh i agree with muscle wastage, but have notice today that her nails have not been buffed down flat - infact they are rather prominent, so had to buffer them down myself today :rolleyes: so i think i know how she managed to slice/ cut her self the other day :rolleyes: but i do think she needs a little help in the muscle depart ment, would really like some boots to protect her inner legs aswell whilst out as when she goes for it - she really goes lol :)

newrider.com