turn out in snow

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
Some dont turn out in snow if deep as can pull off shoes or pull legs etc.

Do you?

I dont if very deep cos strains legs and pulls my mare's gammy knee plus too cold round her knee but do if not that deep.

I have been turning my boy out for 1-2 hours so he can stretch his legs, luckily because the snow is deep, it has not become slippy, but in the next week it may become to icy to get him out of the yard and into the field unless we get some grit in.

When they where in over winter (for us that is Nov - Feb) they got turned out every day from 6 til 6 no matter what the weather.

Chanter needs to walk with his hocks and he is better out then in regardless. since he has been out 24/7 he is already moving better.

Anyone find turn out hard when on a livery yard? I would do things so differently to suit my two so out more in winter but its just not worth the stress and vets bills!

My lot live out so they have to cope, I'm afraid. They hate being in anyway. They have a nice big field shelter to go in and I think last night must have been particularly bad as I sweep it out twice-daily and this morning it looked THIS bad.... :giggle:

2013-03-24104430_zpsb1d29bbf.jpg

I am on DIY yard. but as the turn out is not in herd we can do what we want. I love this arrangement it suits me.

You can do what every you want in all the time, out all the time all year round.

I am dreading having to move yards at some point.

we have our own field for our two on livery yard and can use when and how we like but if my own yard I would have it drained better, fenced better and with a shelter.

Generally speaking my girls go out all day, every day regardless of the weather.

Bella mullered the fencing a few days back and the weather/ground has been too bad to fix it, so they are in most of the day but out for a good few hours in the school in the evening for a leg stretch and a play around

Our TBs will queue after a brief run around almost longer to boot them and unboot them than they are out!!

This week has been particularly bad as even the RS ponies threw themselves into headcollars when we offered them a chance to come in, they have wintered out until now but there are 5' drifts around the hedges they normally use for shelter. Not turned anyone out today as too deep :unsure:

OBC we have a very old pony with leg problems we yard in winter as he needs to keep moving, he and companion overnight in 30'x60' deep littered barn. Hopefully if you had to move you could find something like this for Chanter.

Mine is out 24/7/365 so would be out no matter the weather. I tend to feel that he's not likely to hurt himself so much because he's in it all the time - is used to being more careful and not likely to hoolly because he's been cooped up.
Its a field per horse at our yard, unless you want to share like I do with a friend. We can do what we want with that field, no rules about turnout. I feel for those who have restrictions, I don't think I could cope.

Mine live out 24/7/365 so yes they get turned out :)

As mine are out all the time in the weather they don't get excited in the snow, they are not very playful really either so tend to just wait around for their next Haynet all day!

Last edited:
Mine go out every day regardless too, and they're very happy to. They're also pretty happy to come in again at tea time at the moment :D They need to get out and move around or they get stiff, and they dig holes and graze.

I'm on a livery yard where there are always horses in the field, so I can alter our routine to suit without having to work around other people.

Mine also live out 24/7. They love the snow in general, but in the last couple of days of icy blasts, sleety rain and wet snow they have been in the shelter.

They do play in the snow a lot, I can see how accidents happen.

Mine is out 24/7/365 so would be out no matter the weather. I tend to feel that he's not likely to hurt himself so much because he's in it all the time - is used to being more careful and not likely to hoolly because he's been cooped up.

These were my thoughts yesterday .... only myself and my friend have turned out for the last three days, all the others on the yard are now box walking/weaving or just standing hanging head over the door looking soulless, several got turned out into small paddock while owners mucked out and all went proper bonkers, hoolying about, one old mare even slipped over and went with a crash onto her side (she was ok) our too just stood in their paddocks wondering what all the fuss was about and I can't help thinking that if they had had a bit more turnout they wouldn't have exploded like a bottle of fizzy pop once they did get out.

I always turn mine out what ever the weather. They have been out 24/7 this winter.

I think it depends on the yard and also the type of horse. I would really hate having someone tell me when or when not I could turn out or anything else so I would be pretty useless on a livery yard.

TB types tend to run about more than cobs and natives, so I think it depends on the horse.

Mine don't run about much and seem to have an instinct to now where rabbit holes/dips in the ground are etc, so I am happy to turn them out in snow. If I had a TB I think I would worry more about the possible pitfalls.

Malaika is out whatever the weather,she comes in for a few hours during the day for some peace and some hay but after that out out out for her,we also had 6 out at grass all winter and they never bothered at all with whatever weather greeted them,when the snow was deep hay was put out for them so all were happy.

My lot live out so they have to cope, I'm afraid. They hate being in anyway. They have a nice big field shelter to go in and I think last night must have been particularly bad as I sweep it out twice-daily and this morning it looked THIS bad.... :giggle:

2013-03-24104430_zpsb1d29bbf.jpg

Love your shelter, mine all live out with shelters and are happy whatever the the weather

Ive generaly always turned out ( pending on yard rules) If I had 6ft snow drifts then maybe not!

I tend to make sure there is hay out though if frosty and in snow conditions.

newrider.com