Turn on the forehand?

JoeyJoJo

Max
Apr 15, 2000
Wiltshire, England.
Heather

Could you give me some help with these? What exactly are the correct aids?

Say if I wanted my horses quarters to turn to the right, I would maintain contact with the right rein, open the left, apply pressure with my left leg and keep the right leg on the/just behind the girth.

Is this correct? Also - what are the aids for leg yeilding. I tried doing a turn on the forehand at X facing C and the mare I rode started led yielding over to H. She is an ex-dressage horse and I may have confused her with what I wanted. Are the aids similar and is it ok to do a TOTF at X or is it not recommended?

Thanks

To help you to learn this, Joey, start her facing a school wall/fence. If you want to move the quartes to the right, the horse should be slightly flexed to the inside so that you can see her inside eye and nostril. Your inside leg (left leg) should be placed a little behind the girth, and applied with a squeeze then release of your calf muscles. If you use s solid, unyielding pressure, she is likely to lean into it and not move away. If you just use a niggling action of your heel or inside leg, she will probably be confused by the 'woolly' indistinct feeling that it will give her, particularly if she was previously an educated horse.

The outside rein should remain along the neck in contact, the outside leg, at the girth, not behind it as you will make the mare think that you want her to move her quarters the other way.

Got to go as someone her for an appointment- will post more later!

Heather

newrider.com