Trotting help!

shockblue

Oct 8, 2009
Derbyshire
www.ponytailsjewellery.co.uk
Some of you may know from other posts that I backed Maya this year. Our ground work is great and our liberty is really coming along with lots of wow factor.

Now - when it comes to the riding I really do want to get things right for both our sakes really! Mine because I don't want to get into a situation that I can't handle and teach her to chuck me off or something. So we have been taking it slowly building up our confidence.

Yesterday we rode around the yard for the first time and we've been doing indirect and direct reins. It's got to the point where we can have a nice little play around the school in walk.

Now I really meant to desensitise her as much as I could to make up for my lack of ability to stay on spooking/broncing horses :D ;) However now I feel that we could be doing a little trot we've come to a rut. She yawns! I use all the phases and start flacking her with the rope. I don't want to make her mad at me or cranky and start kicking or bucking when I ask her to trot.

I've been trying to just ask for a quicker walk and I'll always reward her for that. Am I going about this the right way? Should I just keep asking her to go quicker and quicker until one day she goes so quick she trots? Or is there another way I can get her to do it without being cranky or out of control?

I'm not complaining! I would rather struggle on this part rather than struggle trying to stop her :D

Thanks guys! Sorry it was a bit long!

Lucy and Maya

Im gonna put my hands up and say I know nothing about backing horses, never done it, never seen it done and think you are very brave (but how exciting) :D However its great to hear that you are being really sensitive and thoughtful aboout the process rather than quite literally 'breaking' her.

My imediate reaction was can you teach her to trot on the circle to a voice command? Then use that on board in conjunction with the leg aid, then phase out the voice command? It seems logical to me but maybe isnt the way its done :eek: Might be worth a try though :D

i would keep asking until i get what i've asked for. If you quit when she just walks faster you are telling her that's correct, that's what i want you to do. Online if you want her to trot i'm guessing you up your phases until you get a trot, then try and perfect that to be lighter next time round.

If you can get the walk, trot and canter online then she is listening to your body and energy.

Have you got a left brained horse who has more whoa than go i imagine.

When I backed Jack he was slow on the uptake and his lack of balance was a lot to do with his reluctance to go forwards.

Thanks guys for your input. It's really good to have other ideas and suggestions.

Good point about keeping asking until she gets it. This is why it is so difficult!

I wanted to reward the slightest try with her as she can become a little cranky/dominant easily changing from a confident state. I want to keep her in the curiosity/confident zone if I can and help her along.

Sometimes when you ask a horse to trot and they don't respect the leg or don't understand it (like she doesn't atm) that can cause them to buck (be cranky). I've felt her hunch up a few times.

So I am thinking now that if she is being left brained with me then it probably is a little bit of both (she's not respecting me - obvious - and she doesn't understand).

I will have another go next weekend and keep you all updated! Please let me know if you have any other idea's or think I'm going about this wrong. I will also try and keep the pressure on longer, just so she can't ignore me until I get a bit more of a try.

She's usually prone to switch to right brain mode quite easily. I've seen her do some funky moves when spooking! But yes I think I have made her left brain when ridden. A lot of people are really suprised at how quiet she is when I'm on her :). I think she will make a good sensible horse for me one day.

Im gonna put my hands up and say I know nothing about backing horses, never done it, never seen it done and think you are very brave (but how exciting) :D However its great to hear that you are being really sensitive and thoughtful aboout the process rather than quite literally 'breaking' her.

My imediate reaction was can you teach her to trot on the circle to a voice command? Then use that on board in conjunction with the leg aid, then phase out the voice command? It seems logical to me but maybe isnt the way its done :eek: Might be worth a try though :D

That's another clever idea. I may take that but add a person to the floor to encourage her as she knows all that. She does it at liberty! I need a willing candidate though who understands about phases and timing :rolleyes: I may be able to get a good friend at the farm to help me.

What's your cue to trot her at liberty ? Does that transfer over to under saddle work .... if not, why not ?

newrider.com