Treeless leathers -safety

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
To all you treeless owners, do you have those Barnes Buckles on your Stirrup leathers or not?

My old treeless didnt need them but my new one does and I keep meaning to order some!

I have the safety stirrups with the bend in, but the leather has no way of detaching from the saddle, so just wondered if you do use something to help that happen?

My feet won't get stuck in the stirrups with the cages if I come off, all my saddles have solid stirrup rings not bars.

i use Barefoot fenders + Barefoot western stirrups with my Torsion, so the barnes buckles wouldnt fit on. i dont think it's particularly safe if i think about it, but on the other hand they are both designed for barefoot treeless saddles which are pretty similar (identical stirrup bar wise) in design. dont know. if i had traditional english/dressage leathers which fit the barnes buckles, then i probably would have them than not, just to be on the safe side.

saying that, my mom had a fall from her barefoot before she got barnes buckles... when she sorted herself out she found the entire stirrup (complete with leather & bar...) not far from where she fell. so guesses are that her foot DID get caught but the bar was just loosely enough attached that it came away with enough pressure. i dont know if it was designed to do that or not, but i think its a good job it did!

I have a Barefoot saddle with the thick drytex leathers and I was advised to have the Barnes Buckles, I also bought the screw in cages for my English irons so belt and braces!!
Now if I put the cages on my safety irons with the rubber bands, + the BarnesB would that be better LOL

When I had my Freeform I bought some Barnes buckles. Now I have my HM saddle it has the normal attachments. Must sell those buckles as I think we are suited now, so if you would like to buy them .........!

I use the caged stirrups from Raddery, i won't get foot caught.

I have seen people get dragged with the bend leg and i have myself had a mishap with the peacock on a gate, so changed.

I did use the barnes at one point as i got sent them to try out. But as i didn't fall off during that trial i don't know if they actually did help or not.

newrider.com