Transporting friends horse- do you need special insurance ?

nosy

Mar 4, 2008
right at the end of my nose
Hi
I have my own trailer.
This is fully insured for my personnel use, aswell as my horse fully insured.

Question is = a friend would like to go to funrides- I have offered to take her, but am now concerned whether I will be covered for transporting her horse on my trailer.
I also have breakdown recovery for trailer, car & my own horse

Can anyone advise ?

best to check with your insurance, you would not be covered if you are charging her but you may also not be covered for her horse if say mechancial failure i.e. wheel coming off caused injury to it. It will depend on the terms of your policy. And she would be best to check with her insurance as well.

Good question! I feel pretty confident that I am covered for whoever is in my box as long as its not for 'hire or reward' so think I must have read that I was covered in the policy booklet but do think they only way to be sure is check with your insurance company :) Everybody does it, Im sure it isnt an issue, but its always a good idea to ensure your butt is well and truly covered :biggrin:

ditto as long as not for hire and reward

BUT remember its sadly people attitudes that can change on a six pence when things go wrong.

A little confused please help. My trailer is insured but this is just for theft, Accidental damage or fire.

I have looked on the internet and this is all I can find how would this cover you say you had an accident and the trailer was damaged they would pay for the trailer to be repaired but but if your horse was injured your horse insurance would pay out not the trailer insurance and if you are carrying a friends horse surely (in an ideal world) she would have to claim in her for any injury to her horse. Trailer insurance would only pay out for the trailer?

Am I wrong or should I be looking at other trailer insurance.

It never occurred to me to expect vet/damage cover on horsebox insurance. the things i would be looking for is breakdown cover, recovery for both box and horses and accidental damage to horsebox cover. In respect of a friends horse i would want to ensure they were taken to their home safely also and that any damage caused by their horse was covered.
Health cover for the horses would be entirely separate.

newrider.com