Translation (text about fittening)

Thianara

Dec 25, 2005
Moscow
Hi!
There are many questions, but they are easy for you for sure :rolleyes: .

1. "Day 3: 15 mins walk, but now ‘in tack’ which could have been fitted for an hour before work started, still in hand;
Day 4: 15 mins walk, still in hand, then 15 mins ridden (or led off another horse)"

4. "Day 1 40 mins ridden work, on hard surface on flat at walk"

"flat" here = horizontal, plain, level?

5. "60 mins walk + 5 mins trot (mid-walk) + 2x5 mins trot at 20 mins & 40 mins after start (1 trot on hard, 1 trot uphill on firm surface, 1 on hard level surface if practicable)"

May I interpret these three trots as first, second and third? Did author mean, that they are consequent?

6. "Day 6 80 mins walk and 2x10 mins trot, each uphill on soft to firm surface (use across hills as well). Walk down hill at this stage."

"across hill" = uphill, over the top and then downhill?

7. "Use hills for trotting wherever possible and across hills, both directions."

8. "Day 3: 2 hrs work – 30 mins walk on hard, 10 mins trot on soft, 10 mins canter, 5 mins trot on soft, 20 mins walk on soft or hard
Day 4: 2 hrs – as for day 3 (add 5 mins to each trot or intersperse extra periods)
Day 5: 2 hrs – as for day 4 (add 5 mins to each trot or intersperse extra periods; exchange 5 mins trotting on flat to cavaletti work, walk and trot in the school or on soft to firm grass)"

Does this 'red' phrase refer to cavaletti work or to rest 'flat' exercises?

9. "Loosening-up...
Lift and extend each foreleg to pull skin under girth
- flex each shoulder and pull back on extended fore leg
- flex each hind leg high and lift slightly outwards then extend backwards"

10. "Cold-backed horses may need extra care."

Thank you! :)

1 - with the person riding one horse and leading the one who is being fittened, so the person doesn't have to walk.

4 - not up and down hills, which is harder work for the horse.

5 - probably, it makes sense to do the easiest one first.

6 - no, across the slope of the hill so left is lower than right.

7 - trot up and down and across hills in preference to on flat ground.

8 - either do longer trots, or more shorter trots - intersperse means add extra ones.
second red phrase means flat, i would think.

9 - i have no idea. i first thought it meant the same as the line above, but am not sure.

10 - do a search on here for 'cold backed' and you will find lots of threads discussing it in depth. it means the horse is anxious about having the saddle put on and girth done up, usually in response to pain or remembered pain.

led off another horse

Thank you, Mehitabel! I appreciate your help.

Mehitabel said:
1 - with the person riding one horse and leading the one who is being fittened, so the person doesn't have to walk.

Well, then where is the difference between walking in hand and 'led off another horse'? In both cases horse walks without a rider.
Author says:
"15 mins walk, still in hand, then 15 mins ridden (or led off another horse)"
Why '15 mins ridden' is equated with 15 mins 'led off another horse'?

9. "Loosening-up...
Lift and extend each foreleg to pull skin under girth
- flex each shoulder and pull back on extended fore leg
- flex each hind leg high and lift slightly outwards then extend backwards"

I would assume when you have saddled up you are to pick up front leg and stretch forward and pick up back leg and lift outwards slightly and stretch backwards. Probually to stretch skin under girth.

One more big question

This sentence is about time required for getting fit (from grass rest).

"As a rough guide
- if off all work, the fitness reached goes after 4 weeks. If doing only slow walking, work after 6 weeks.
- if off all work full, conditioning also goes after 6 weeks, but, if less than 6 weeks, only 4 days road work (walk 30 mins, trot 10 mins) will stimulate connective tissue responses and fitness returns with faster work after 2 weeks of so."

This bolded word is originally marked by the author.
I can't catch the logic.
Be so kind to explain me the sound, please.

Thank you!

Useful rule of thumb - a weeks fittening for every month off.
For example - if the horse is let down for one month then one week of fittening, starting with walk and progressing up to walk, trot, canter, some hill work. 2 Months = 2 weeks. 8 months = 8 weeks etc. L

I always got my hunters fit by this basic way obviously to suit each horse!! It always worked well for me - the horses were hunt servants/huntsman horses and always stayed sound and worked well and were all veterans!!! Hunting usually twice a week. These hunters got totally let down from work and turned out as soon as it was warm enough and came into work mid July so had probually 8 weeks off

Week 1/2: walking for around an hour including hills on second week out of field!!

Week 3/4: alternative walk and trot starting off with short trots on the flat gradually building up to more trot than walk over the second week and more uphill work. I would probually bring them into stables from about week 4

Week 5: I would introduce short canters on the flat increasing them in length.

Week 6: I would start uphill canter work ready for hound excercise/autumn hunting.
All my hunters worked ride and lead i would alternate each horse daily as the ridden horse. It hardens the back off to the saddle although once they were hunting i had a horse that was better to lead to keep fit until after christmas when he wouldnt lead and had to be ridden as he tried to kill you!! nice!!

Hope this helps someone, i know everyone has different ideas on fittening work and nothing is black and white, but it worked for me for 10 years!!

newrider.com