tracking up?

Sep 16, 2004
Land of Leeds
Visit site
i am currently in the process of schooling my pony properly and i find that schooling with side-reins is very effective when wanting to supple his top line (i fix them quite baggy for when he trots). Anyway i was lunging him today and i noticed he seems to be tracking up very well with his feet in walk and trot, especially in trot. is this a good sign of him using his back end more? Will it change when i get on him?

X jenny X

yeah, this is really, good thats what you want to see!!
Be careful though, pos put some overreach boots on him in case he catches his front feet.

Hopefully it wont change too much when you get on, as long as you push him forward into a long and low frame.

Good luck keeping it!! :) :) :)

Jo

Ooh, yes, tracking up is terrific.

The horse is more active in his hind end; he is able to lift and extend his hind leg further forward. This is a good indicator that he is really working through the back, and also getting lighter in front.

When a horse is tracking up better when you ride, it may feel like his back end sinks a little and his front end lifts. (In some horses it's not quite so noticeable.) You should definitely feel his hind end moving more than it used to; as he extends the leg further forward, the hip rotates backward a lot further. You should also feel his back lift in the center, rather like the top of a rainbow.

As he becomes more active in his hind end and works more through the back, he will really be carrying himself well. It's like a person sitting up straight with shoulders back, as compared to slumping and hunched. And the more he does that, the better his ability to use his legs will become, the more balanced he will be, the more able he will be to perform :)

newrider.com