Top Spec and Winergy feeds

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Does anyone have any experience of these?

I am looking to change Harveys feed. He is now up to just below his ideal weight (345kg) so spring should put the rest on.

I want something that will improve his shape, at the moment he has very little topline and a big hay belly even though his ribs show a tiny amount. I know feed won't give topline but thinking if he has the right protien ration and vits and mins it would help.

Need something simple to feed, I don't want to soak speedibeet any more and would prefer just one or two bags of feed.

Harvey is currently on

1/2 dry weight speedibeet soaked in twice as much water
1 scoop hi fi lite (this is changed to Just grass when done a lot of work or its snowing/very cold)
1 measure Brinnicombe Think Pink (vit and min with linseed oil)

I was thinking of changing to

1/2 - 1 scoop hi fi lite or topspec non mollassed chaff
plus measure of top spec comprehensive (or would he need the lami one?, not prone to lami but less fizz?)

or wynergy feeds (but they reckon 2kg of equilibrium low energy which seems a lot) Have heard its good for horses who get fizzy or have intolerances?.

Harvey gets fizzy easily on feeds and is having allergy testing in the next month or so as he has bad skin, itches, breaks out in sores. He is lazy to school but spooky to hack.

Do either of those feeds have wheatfeed in them?

I use Top spec started off on the comprehensive but came onto the lite as I have a very good doer, the comprehensive has EVERYTHING in it, a hoof supplent etc and is good for promoting top line, I have an arab x and not once has she ever been fizzy on top spec, I will never change feeds her condition is outstanding everyone comments on coat quality, hoof quality and how good a condition she is in
http://www.topspec.com/basket/, atm I use 500g per day of balancer two 250 cups (top spec measuring cup) and a sprinkle of Top chop lite, shes on ad lib hay cos the weathers been so bad they cant get out, my horse has never been in the fields for a month, due to icey conditions, she goes into school but once in there just plods away certainly dosent tear round blowing excess off so no fizziness and as far as I am aware no cereals or grains are added, I think judging by what you have said you may be better with the Top spec lite
http://www.topspec.com/basket/horses/feed/36

Last edited:
Ive used winergy equalibrium feeds for over a year now. I use less than it says on the packet, but all have held their shape well and did not get fizzy. I dont add in any supliments when I use that apart from cortaflex for my older ones.

Thanks everyone:)

Harvey is a good weight at the moment but does lose weight easily (what I feed him at the moment keeps the weight stable unless he's stressed or cold/wet but when I need him to gain weight he has to have a lot more then that).

I think I'm going to go with the comprehensive Topspec balancer simply because he's prone to dropping weight and I'd like to be able to cut out all feed other then the topspec and hi fi lite.

When the spring/summer gets here I'm assuming I could just drop down to the Topspec lite if he looked a bit too well, although I've never got him 'overweight' yet.

I was really making sure it won't make him fizzy.

When I phoned the topspec help line they said they would suggest the Antilam??? that confused me a little as he isn't laminitis prone (but is welsh x) and he struggles to maintain weight as the info seems to say its for overweight ponies/very good doers.

I used Winergy Low Energy on my TB as he is not very good with too much sugar etc, he explodes!

Winergy is an excellent feed. Kept him in good condition and kept him ticking over nicely, but I did not need to use as much as was recommended.

Is excellent feed if you can source it easily, which was my only problem.

Had to order it in every time and wait a week or 2 for delivery.

I could not order a bulk load either as, each time they arrived, the use by date was very short so always wasted bags.

Thanks everyone:)

Harvey is a good weight at the moment but does lose weight easily (what I feed him at the moment keeps the weight stable unless he's stressed or cold/wet but when I need him to gain weight he has to have a lot more then that).

I think I'm going to go with the comprehensive Topspec balancer simply because he's prone to dropping weight and I'd like to be able to cut out all feed other then the topspec and hi fi lite.

When the spring/summer gets here I'm assuming I could just drop down to the Topspec lite if he looked a bit too well, although I've never got him 'overweight' yet.

I was really making sure it won't make him fizzy.

When I phoned the topspec help line they said they would suggest the Antilam??? that confused me a little as he isn't laminitis prone (but is welsh x) and he struggles to maintain weight as the info seems to say its for overweight ponies/very good doers.

I switched from the comprehensive to the lite with no probs whatseover and my plan was to put her back on the comp this winter HOWEVER she isnt dropping weight a little porky still if I am honest so decided to keep her on the lite, top spec also said she could go on the anilam its lower again than the lite in terms of calories so that why they suggested that, each to their own I suppose but I have had fantastic results since I switched to Top Spec

I use the Winergy Equilibrium and our lot are great on it. I was using the Winergy Low for all of them but switched to the Winergy Senior as it has a higher oil content and higher DE while keeping the starch low. Even the 3yo is on the Senior :lol:

I found from the start that I need to feed way less than recommended. The now 3yo was on the Growth as a weanling and despite her being over half TB she was fed at the WB rates and has developed nicely on that. Her Mum (Peri) always needed huge amounts of grub (12lbs+ of hard feed) to maintain her weight yet even on the Low she was in full work (competing advanced dressage) on 5lbs or less a day. Tavia gets around 3lbs a day even in mid-winter, competes advanced level dressage is not fizzy and has loads of energy.

BJ, the Fell, has EPSM and he has done really well on both the senior and the low - had no relapses at all since switching over to it and he looks fantastic.

Because we feed less than the recommended amount they all get a vit/min top-up with selenavite E. The oldies & comp horses are also on cortaflex

newrider.com