Too old at 21???

Emma Haynes

Aug 6, 2008
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and looking for some advice. I am 21 and apparently too old to do anything! Everyone keeps telling me that going to college is a waste of time because you don't get enough practical experience to gain recognition in your cv, I have simply been told that it would be easier for an employer to take on a school leaver at 80 quid a week and train them themselves. This is where it gets irritating...
I have even offered to work for nothing, in return for tuition to BHS standards-but get the door slammed in my face along with the claim that they are too busy. Then there is the option to privately train for your BHS exams at around 30 quid per hour (28 for stable management). Even then I am in the same position with the no experience barrier. (I had a child at 16 and have been a ft mum ever since) which is why I haven't gone down the standard route, but now she is in school and I am slowly going insane, (there are only so many times you can clean an oven before it starts to rust)
I can't even work for free!
Please help me I have no idea what to do.

Thanks in advance for any replies x

Funding is available for all ages, you may have to do NVQ to access funding for BHS exams. There are several schemes, Rural Training initiative, Train to Gain are just two of them I know about.

We do a scheme which is just for people like you, funded by Rural Training and topped up by us giving extra training in exchange for help on the yard. all our weekend staff are young mums who do four hours work on the yard when they can find a babysitter and in exchange we enrol them on our NVQ program and provide coaching for that and BHS exams.

You do have to be keen however, as well as their 4 hours work they do 4 hours training and riding and about the same in theory at home.

If that is what you are looking for tell me roughly (county will do) where you are in the country and I will try to get you a contact.

Oh and welcome to NR

Hi you are not too old at all, I'm 27 and have just done my NVQ level 1, I think NVQ's would be easier for you to get into. I couldn't do aworking pupil position etc as have 3 kids(had my eldest at 17) and couldn't survive on the minimal wage with all the hours as childcare aint cheap!(minimum wage with tax credits will be fine though once I'm qualified!). I'm doing my NVQ's through a local college, it's all done on the yard, I was there 3 days a week 8.30am-2.45pm and we did all the usual yard work and had lessons. The college provided support and back up for the course and also gave me a travel grant and paid for my children to attend the schools breakfast club. I'm sure there will be something suitable available to you to. When people comment on my age etc as just starting out in the industry I just say that at my age, with 3 kids and already married, I know this is what I want and will be doing well into my old age rather than doing it for a couple of years then meeting someone/getting pregnant and leaving like happens with so many ofthe under 20's in the game! I am able to offer an employer employee security!

Thanks guys its nice to know that I'm not too old after all! There are NVQ providers in my area which is good, its just the problem I have is that I don't drive so they're a bit of a distance from me. However I live in Doncaster so there are ample opportunities with the new racecourse now up and running. I wanted to go to the northern racing college because thye have such a good reputation however they insist on a 12 week residential course which isn't practical to say the least. I'm thinking about doing stage one privately then doing the college conversion course that the NRC offer? Atleast it gets me round doing the residential side of things-I might even get an apprenticeship out of it!

Thanks again!

Not horse related but I started back at college part time two years ago and studied for Nursery nursing. Not long after that I went onto do a counselling level 1 and now I've just gained my level 3 counselling and Level 2 teaching assistant along with New Clait. So no your never too old to do anything

hiya im 21 aswell and am looking to get into the industry i felt excatly the same as u i've also got a little boy whos just turned 1 so i have him all the time which makes it difficult. however i've got a very supportive partner who said if it's what i wanna do then go and do it! i'm taking lessons to get into the swing of things and then looking at doing either my bhs exams or down the nvq route this i'm still unsure of! determination is the key thing and this i what i really want to do:D i start at the begining of sept!:eek: i just hope i get a good instructor and horse. good luck and go for it! xx

I totally disagree you're never too old. I turned 21 in July and last year at college I did an IMI level 2 in motorcycle repair and maintenance and this year I plan on starting my BHS levels. I've spoken to the college I'm planning on going to and sadly because it is classed as part time and night class I get no funding for it. Just looking at some of the other establishments around my area at the moment to see if they are any different ways to pay i.e. one place offered paying by week.

newrider.com