Too early to introduce some jumps?

MaisieMoo

Oct 19, 2007
Mr C has been coming on really well with his flat work but I really don't want him to get bored with it so have been adding cones, poles etc to keep things fun.

I have only ever jumped him a couple of times over a wee 40 cm cross pole but I did free school him over a 2ft straight and he was fab despite never jumping at his previous home.

His flatwork is much improved - no more stumbling in canter although it can still be difficult to bend him round the leg.

Would it do any harm to start popping up a small jump? He does seem to love them and at our old yard when they had a course set up would try his damndest to get to the jump including some very impressive leg yielding.

Was going to start with more trotting poles, then adding some canter poles and some poles between the jump wings.

What do you think - is he ready or should I wait until my next lesson and discuss with RI?

Thanks!

I reckon go for it if he enjoys it and it allows you to vary the workload. I regularly jump my 5yr old cob because it gives us something different to do and he really enjoys it- i keep most of the fences small but give him lots of things to think about and do a bit of gridwork to attempt to get him to take the fences sensibly in a straight line and stay straight afterwards! We tackled scary fillers yesterday which were about 2ft off the ground but he cleared it by another 2ft so perhaps my little guy will be good at jumping after all!

I think if they were small and easy then he will be fine hunny.

As long as he is enjoying it then i dont see the harm in maybe jumping once per week or so.

Even just a small cross pole after a schooling session would be good for him :)

I cant wait til I can do all this with a baby hoss again!!! Megan was brilliant to teach and I am hoping my next one will be the same!!:D

**COUGH ~ PICS ~ COUGH***** ;):p

Nikki xxx

I think if they were small and easy then he will be fine hunny.

As long as he is enjoying it then i dont see the harm in maybe jumping once per week or so.

Even just a small cross pole after a schooling session would be good for him :)

I cant wait til I can do all this with a baby hoss again!!! Megan was brilliant to teach and I am hoping my next one will be the same!!:D

**COUGH ~ PICS ~ COUGH***** ;):p

Nikki xxx

Thanks hun - the main thing is just to let Mr C have some fun!!

I have another lesson on Fri so will ask Natalie to set out some poles and a jump for me and I'll pop him over just to see how he looks - when I jumped him before he felt ok - really locked onto the jump and cleared it 7 or 8 times which was good for his first ever jump.

Do you have any ideas when you're going to start looking for a youngster?

totally OT im afraid - other than to say I cant see the harm and if MR C is having fun then that is all that matters:D........ now then please explain your new sig me dear. Im guessing it is a lyric from something? And being the old fogey that I am....... :eek::p

totally OT im afraid - other than to say I cant see the harm and if MR C is having fun then that is all that matters:D........ now then please explain your new sig me dear. Im guessing it is a lyric from something? And being the old fogey that I am....... :eek::p

It's a line from the Snow Patrol song Signal fire!!:D

Thanks hun - the main thing is just to let Mr C have some fun!!

Do you have any ideas when you're going to start looking for a youngster?

Yup Mr C should have his fun!!! If he is liking it hun as long as its small and not too often then I would go for it!!! If he is locking on then thats a great thing!!!

Should be about this time next year I am thinking for a babby. Will be looking for 2/3 yr old I think.

I want one that young as I can do eveything the backing etc myself but hopefully It will have had a little handling. Also means that I should be able to gauge the height it will get as anything smaller than 14hh at that age might not make 15hh or above on maturity. Also so it can get used to being in the field by itself when I take Kia away and I wont have to worry about it doing too much damage (hopefully);):D

Also means that it will keep Mr K relatively young and on his toes lol!!!

Defo going for a welsh Sec D but I have a price range so I might not be abe to get the blood lines I would LOVE to have but anything that is well put together and should make a min of 15hh will be fine for me!!:D

Nikki xxxxx

Popped him over a wee cross pole a few times tonight - only about 40 cm but he done well. Knocked them down a few times but was still dying for more when I stopped him which is a good sign and I'd rather end each session with him wanting more rather than being bored!

Will do some poles on Wed and then get RI to put up some jumps on Friday and maybe get pics or vid!:)

newrider.com