Too cold to wash? And a few other questions...

skips and soda

Skippy Bum & Skoda Fabia
Sep 15, 2007
South West, Nr. Bath
Sorry, last thread tonight, just pondering something.

I'm hopefully taking Soda hunting on Saturday this week. May not work out, but my YO is field mastering that day and has asked me if I wanted to come along as the meet is fairly close to the yard.

However, Soda is currently disgustingly dirty, like properly disgusting. I've tried grooming him a lot, but to no avail, he's still varying shades of poo, which is fairly unattractive! His tail is black with mud cos I keep grooming it out but it's all stained and nasty!

My question is: do you think it would be really cruel to bathe him with warm water on Friday?

I know it's really cold and icy atm but I don't mean a full bath, literally just a spot wash. His head and neck needs doing, his legs and his tail. He'd be dried off (as best we can) with towes as soon as we're finished and would have a wicking rug/fleecy rugs to soak up the water and changed regularly until he is dry.

Do you think that will be ok?

He's fully clipped bar his legs so will dry very quickly and he can go on the horse walker whilst he dries so that he is still moving and keeping warm. My main worry is that his legs aren't clipped and are really really fluffy. But they are orange atm and I can't take him looking the way he does. Should I wash tem, bearing in mind they will tak hours to dry, or should I ask my YO to clip them and just take the fur off?

Sorry, seems like a silly question I know, usually I'm not too worried and wil just go ahead, but I don't want the poor lad to get pneumonia!

The other question is should I hack him there?

My problem is he won't be worked Thursday or Friday (not to my knowedge anyway) as they are the days I stay late at school, so unless our extra things aren't on at school I won't be home until 7, too late to hack really and we only have one light on the arena, so too dark to school. He's currently incredibly fit and feeling it. Out hacking he's fine but in his snaffle today we did have one moment when I was there thinking "Where the hell have the brakes gone???!" Lol! I've been offered a lift to the meet and my Mum can box me there, but it is on a normal hacking route for me. I'm wondering whether he'll just explode if I box him there, whereas if I hack him there, we can work some energy off. Only problem is he may then be too tired by the time we get there cos it is about an hour and a half to hack there, meaning less time to get ready, hacking down a fast and busy main road in rush hour and possibly in icy conditions and it may mean I have to cut short the time we spend out. Equally though, he is less likely to have a bucking bronco moment if I hack him there.

Hmm, not sure really. What would you guys be inclined to do? Also bearing in mind I will probably hack home when we've had enough which is probably going to be at least another hour and a bit ride home after hunting. I don't want him to be totally exhausted.

Interested to hear different opinions really. I'm in 2 minds about it.

(Sorry for the numberof ridiculous questions btw. I am incapable of making decisions atm)! :p:eek:

Assemble hose pipe, shampoo and sweat scraper.. wash horse .. lunge dry and rug well.. he'll be fine. Use cold water not warm (he'll chill quicker with warm) and use a hose pipe with as high a pressure as you can muster.. (I use a pressure washer if I can!) as the higher pressure with make wetting & rinsing a much quicker affair and also helps clean the coat so you spend less time scrubbing at a wet horse..

Re your other Q - hack there - it's a nice warm up/brain settler.. if you think he'll be too fresh then give him a quick spin on the lunge before you go..

You will be definatly ok to wash his legs and tail if you wrap him up warm.

His head and neck should be ok too since he is fully clipped he will dry pretty quick.

towel dry the best you can and do it as quick as you can. It would be a good idea to put him on the walker to help him warm up and dry quickly.

I would prefer not to wash in this weather but I also own a not so sparkely white grey!

Some people on my yard wash their horses legs down, up to their armpits everyday in all weather, with cold water. They don't seam to suffer from it but rather them than me!!!

Could you hack there and box him up to bring him home when he his tired?

or lunge/have a quick hack before you box him up? That way you take the edge of him with out tireing him out before you get there.

Get a lift until your about 20 mins/half an hour away and hack him the last part!

Agree a spot wash should be fine as long as you keep the rest of him nice and warm, if he's a grey get some of that magic blue colour shampoo, that really works wonders. Might be worth you washing him tomorrow night and keep him moving until dry then another wash on Friday so he should be sparkling.

Cool, thank you everyone. :) I will wash him with cold water in that case BIrish, I never realised that! :) I guess the warm water would get cold anyway so would be a bit pointless doing it with warm water anyway. Mind you, if the hose pipe is frozen it may have to be a bucket of arm water and a sponge job, but hopefully it will be fine!

I'll get loads of really big thick towels to dry him off with *sneaks off to airing cupboard, hoping Mum doesn't notice!* Lol! I've got 3 fleece rugs and a wicking rug we can use to keep him warm and help him dry off as well.

Have some of the blue shampoo-it really does do a good job! Also was sent some special shampoo for greys as part of my SS pressie so will try that out tomorrow, think that's a really good idea Lot1983, that way I can get the worst of the mud off now and then another quick wash later in the week which will make life a bit easier! :) Means he can have 2 quicker washs as opposed to one long one I guess so that should help him. :)

He will definitely be doing some work before we go, no matter what. Like the idea of lunging him beofre going Jaz. :) The hack over there I'm not too worried about, he'll be fresh but manageable, it's just as soon as he sees/hears hounds he goes "WHOPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" Which could be even more interesting if he's fresh anyway! Lol!

I'll have a think. The problem is I would get asked to be dropped halfway, but in the lorry or the tariler it'll only take 15 mins to get there. The hack there is so long just because you have to go on really random detours round the lanes to avoid the worst stretch of main road (can't avoid it completely but can avoid the bit where it's really dangerous). I may well hack him there anyway though, it will be a good warm up for him and he is fit so it shouldn't faze him too much. May help to settle my nerves as well! Lol! Doesn't matter how many times I go, I love going hunting, but I'm always terrified before we start! Hehe!

A microfibre towel is better if you can get one, they hold something like 4x more water than an ordinary towel.

I've had to spot wash Daffy tonight, and was able to squeeze water out of the sponge onto those areas and then catch it in a small microfibre cloth, so he barely got wet, and stayed warm. :)

My friends horse has has an allergic reaction (to what were not sure!!) but her skin is really bad atm, so she has to be bathed everyday (no matter what the weather) shampoo then water, shampoo then water again and finally a lotion all over! This is on the vets advice to heal her skin. So if the vet has advised it surely it cant be that bad, She also has to be left to dry naturally so it soaks in, with just a sweat rug (poor thing). :eek:
rather her than me i must admit :confused:

Grab a rubber curry comb, use a bit of elbow grease, and rub at the stains! Sure, they won't disappear completely, and you probably will end up washing his tail, but at least he won't have to get wet. I don't honestly think its that important for him to be spotless - stuff what everyone else thinks, I'd rather take Lou out with yellow legs (she's grey) than give her a bath with it being this cold.
It won't kill him if you do, but he'll think you're an evil mum, and so will I lol :p
Be honest with yourself - a bit of grub never hurt anybody.

Have tried using a rubber curry comb and a magic stone and eventually some stain remover which you don't need to wash off and literally groomed and groomed and groomed until I was red in the face! None of it worked. I'd rather not take him looking grubby either. Part of it is going out looking smart (albeit you come back looking filthy), but personally I know that our hunt likes people to make the effort really. He's a reasonably hardly lad, as long as it won't make him unwell I'm happy. I can deal with people thinking I'm evil! :p It won't be a full bath anyway. Just legs, head and top of neck and tail.

If it's really icy then the hunt will be cancelled. :) Althoug for hacking over there then there will be patches of the roads which are a bit icy as they are shaded and it will be early enough that they won't have thawed when we're hacking over there. We won't know until Saturday morning whether it's on or not, which is a bit of a pain, but better safe than sorry, at least I'll be able to find out easy enough cos my YO is field mastering so he'll be one of the first to know and can tell me.

A microfibre towel sounds brilliant. Thanks. :) Will try and get hold of one. :)

Oh, and have decided if it is going on then I'll be hacking there as my YO has decided he is going to hack there so I may as well just go with him. He agrees with me, not to hack Soda there may make my day slightly scary! Lol! Soda's usually brilliant but I think a couple of days of no work then being unloaded at the meet may fry his brain a tad! Hehe! If we ride there then we've warmed the horses up as well. :)

You can get two cloths, plus a mitt, in a little pack from TailGator, for about £20 I think. I use one on my own hair, they stop it frizzing, and have no trouble holding that much water. :eek:

I'm sure you could find one in a sports shop though. :)

ive been known to use hair dryers to dry off horses...

or the cowboy magic green spot remover is pretty fab stuf.. no water needed!

Thanks Daffy Dilly. :) Will have a look and see if I can find them. :)

Lol jaydevon! :p I was actually considering using a hairdryer on a low setting to get thee worst of the damp off him. He's fine with clipping etc so I don't think he'd really give a damn. Tbh he's fine with most things, quite often he doesn't really notice until we've finished! Lol! :p

Have tried the Cowboy Magic stuff before with him. The problem with him is the stains on his head and neck are so large and noticeable that I think we';d get through a whole bottle just for the stains there! Lol! Might get some though and use it on the smaller stains etc. so we don't have to get his body wet if he's got a stain on his side or something. :)

newrider.com