Today's Outing....

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
We went to our favourite little local friendly jumping competition today but this time I was determined to go higher so I'd said I'd do the 45cm class AND the 55cm. As it's been so cold and frosty, the weren't many there and to be honest, I don't go for rosettes (although they're nice), I just go for the fun and experience.
The 45cm class was only 3. I rode with great determination and for some reason gave G a running commentary as we went round "right turn here. kick on a bit..... ooh a spread, we'll need some speed, gooood girl". Gracie cantered the whole course, which was a first as she'd normally drop to trot at some point, but it was a neat and tidy round and she went clear. The other two had one down each, so we won that one.

IMG_2308-600x900.JPG

In the 55cm she had the first fence down, cleared the rest but it wasn't as tidy as the first, with bouts of trotting and trantering. I tried not to be nervous of the heights but I haven't jumped show jumps that high for over a year... and only once or twice ever anyway. We came 3rd out of 4.

IMG_2315-800x533.JPG

IMG_2353-800x533.JPG

IMG_2330-800x533.JPG

IMG_2321-800x533.JPG

IMG_2367-600x900.JPG

Then it got interesting and a 6-bar grid was set up with one stride in berween each jump. G and I have never done more than two jumps with one stride in between so I was unsure what she would make of it. They were set up as tiny cross poles and I worried that she'd just charge through their low heights and we'd get eliminated in the first round. Well.... to give her credit, she DID jump them all but in that first line, she added a couple of extra strides, got too close to one and knocked it down! However, as there are only 4 of us, we were allowed to continue for experience. Second time round, small bars now, we attacked with more verve and G bounced along beautifully...... here's a vid of it (excuse the "hups".... I have no idea why..... and they soon stopped as we did more. Gracie absolutely LOVED doing them and towed me into the first jump each time. She was FAB.

This was the boost that Gracie's confidence needed and she absolutely LOVED subsequent rounds. We went up to an amazing 70-75cm and she flew them!!!

IMG_2610-800x533.JPG

IMG_2711-800x533.JPG

IMG_2726-800x533.JPG

So.... looking back.... that 55cm class doesn't seem so scary now that I know what my girl is capable of.

My confidence was still sky high from the good news about her back yesterday (yes, I did ask my physio if it would be ok to jump her today) and today was just brilliant. So proud of her.

Isn't that lovely! I have to say that her form really seems to improve from doing the grids. What a great little competition, it sounds so supportive and friendly.

Amazing!!! You look fabulous, G certainly looks like she's loving it. Is that applecross?

@domane thought so my friends daughter does some pony club there I think. 6 bar looks right up looks Lottie street, I will have a look for the next one. can you start at a certain height or do you have to start at the beginning?

@Lissie They are run by the instructor who is actually based at my yard. She does them monthly so I can let you know when the next one is. Do you go on Facebook?

And yes, start small and work up. The competition part is to stay clear so the lower lines give you practise before they get big. If you knock one down, you're out of the competition (if there's more competitors than places. There were only 4 of us yesterday)

newrider.com