To Hog Or Not To Hog?

Soozy

Aug 16, 2004
Edinburgh
Visit site
I hogged my boy last summer because we were doing some cob classes and I loved his look, but this year we arent doing anything mainly because we arent any good at it LOL. Anyway although I love him hogged, I also love him with hair. So what do you think, keep his hair or chop it off?

This was taken in the summer just before he won his first nursery xcountry/hunter trial thingy. And not me riding him, she is far better rider than me and a lot skinnier !

seamus001.jpg

And this was taken the year before when he had hair.

DSCF1826.jpg

I'm very pro hogging... it really shows the horses face off, but it only suits the heavier breeds, due to the stocky necks..
Your boy suits this, he's got just enough stockiness all round to carry it off with ease:biggrin:

I don't believe I'm going to say this, but I think hogged. I'm normally pro au natural all the way, but do appreciate some horses look better hogged and I think your boy carries it off very smartly.
Not sure I agree with you DS for all heavier horses but yeah, alot can look good.

Not sure I agree with you DS for all heavier horses but yeah, alot can look good.

When I say heavier, I mean there is a point where they don't suit.. I wouldn't hog Flipo for example, or a Comtois, wouldn't hog them either, for the same reason.. but medium weight Cobs, yep..
Oh and I wouldn't hog a full Shire or a Clydesdale either :smile:
My lad actually prefers to have his mane off, he's shown it time and time again, as he gets miserable with the sheer thickness of his mane (he has a very thick mane, that lies on both sides) he gets very warm and sweaty under it.. and a very thick tail that can be difficult to manage, especially when he's dragged it through a hawthorn hedge........
Sporting his hogged look
8-05-11004.jpg

The thick tail itself..
14-04-11004.jpg

Last edited:
It's always hard to decide - I never could decide about Barney, he also looked good both ways. In the end I had him sometimes hogged (mainly in the summer) and sometimes not ... (He's retired now, and he has mane down to his knees ... I spent half an hour this morning getting the elflocks out).

Nature put it there for a reason, if it doesnt need to come off for his comfort, and he doesnt habitually stick his head in hedges, and you're not showing, I'd leave it on.

He looks handsome both ways, different, but still handsome. :biggrin:

He's gorgeous, Soozy! I would go the for hairy natural look myself.

EML - wowser! Stunning horse/rider combo. And 28 sidesaddle riders! What a sight that must have been. :inlove:

I come from direction of health. Unless it needs to come off due to health., mites i would leave it.
Why buy a cob if plan to shave it off, you may as well opt for different type completely.

I don't do cosmetic appearance. I am sure my cob would look better without. Looks don't concern me. If she got mud fever or mites then the feathers may have to come off.

newrider.com