Tips Welcome :) Keeping a long mane In Good Condition and Feather Management

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
My new little girl, (pic in the album) has a very long mane and i'd like to look after this. So any tips welcomed.

Also she has feathers so again any tips welcomed to help look after. I do not plan on hogging, clipping, trimming, i'd like everything to stay as it is.

Her tail could be included as this is very thick and heavy.:help:

Pig Oil and Sulpher all round :D

Helps stop mud from sticking, so stops the dreadlock issue... also helps with preventing mud fever and I think it helps with mites?

I use mane and tail spray on madam and pig, but just dont find it lasts between grooms. That said I only groom once a week or so - I dont want to pull out any hair I dont need to on madam as we have enough problems keeping it in summer!!!

Yep Pig oil and Sulphur all the way, i am a totally convert, my cobs feathers and mane has never looked so lurvely!!! :inlove:

Two things, already suggested by PFB.
Pig oil and sulphur, buy it off ebay ready mixed and I do it after every trimmer visit (every six weeks).
Canter mane and tail spray, and a oster mane and tail brush - must have for thick manes and tails. If you spray the canter stuff on and leave it for a few minutes before brushing, you will find it all the easier. I try not to brush too often during the winter - once every two weeks for his tail and whenever I'm riding for the mane (which at the moment is not at all, so every two weeks probably as well).
Saw the piccie in your album, she looks sweet, congratulations Newforest.

Same as flipos mum really.

PO as a preventitive for mud sticking to feathers ( I don't do the sulphur bit anymore, just the oil) and canter mane and tail for the other bits coupled with minimal brushing.

I use pig oil & sulphur on the legs & use plain pig oil on my boy's mane & tail,as he has loads of very long mane the mane & tail conditioner just don't work.The only times I've used it used a whole large spray in a go :eek: so way too expensive & anyway the effect was gone within a day. Pig oil keeps it brushable for about a week.

Its cheaper to mix it yourself check out the shire horse forum and they have all the ratios there but we just go by eye. Scats sell it seperately. My friend has a hairy cob and keeps his hair long by keeping it in plaits and only occaisionally brushing them out when they looked to tatty I did the same with our pony last winter and his mane vastly improved I might do the same with Flora if I have the time. Welcome to the land of the hairy.:dance: Frontline works well on feather mite (spray version).

Agree P&O all the way for feathers, just pig oil in mane and tail. I rarely goom moets mane and tail to be honest and then hen I do I plaster it in pig oil or baby oil (depends if I have ran out of pig oil)

The worst thing for my sisters cobs feathers was being in a boggy field, he had proper bog burn and the feathers stained and broke off, the P&O helped a bit but then field mud was just really acidic and still burnt the feather. He now is at a diff yard with better quality grazing and his feathers have grown back lovely, I'll try to post lovely pics at some point later!

Another pig oilg and sulphur convert, tried it for the first time this year and it's fab stuff! be careful if you try and mix it yourself as too much sulphur will have an adverse effect. I got mine from Sussexcobs.com

For the mane & tail I would suggest a good quality detangler

We don't touch Tess's Feathers at all during winter just let them do what comes natural, they look great at the moment, Tail gets a comb through once a month, the mane is a nightmare , she has a neck rug which it is growing back under, but she managed at the end of summer to rub half of it off under the electric fence of all things so we are just leaving it alone.

I had to plait my cobs tail because it snapped off in the serious frost and looked like someone had hacked away at it with a pair of scissors! :stomp:

I agree that for a sorry mane and tail Megatek is great. I am using the rebuilder on Ziggy, who had lost all the top of his tail and mane from poor nutrition. That and rosehips is bringing it back beautiful.

At the moment she has a lovely soft mane, so i thought how do i look after this. I've got an oster brush and i can get some spray for it, but i'll lay off brushing too much, maybe just stroke then.

The tail is a bit thick with mud, she's been running aroud the field. When she settles i'll have a look at it, it could be dragging so maybe needs tiny tiny shortern.

What i have noticed is i end up getting mane in with my halter, and earlier i lost my line in the mane, but i love the cobs and i hope i can keep her looking nice without too much interference from me.

newrider.com