tips for stopping falling in?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
I have just started having lessons on my mare...actually enjoying them!!

anyhow....just wondered what you have been taught to do when the following happens:

horse is in walk, on left rein, when down the straight she 'falls/drifts' away from the track into the middle of the school.....my instructor told me to try something....just wanted to see what you guys would suggest?

bit of history - she was lame for 18 months on front right leg, been sound a year...but is still a bit 'uneven' as such. The left rein is her worst rein, and she doesnt drift/fall on the right rein.

Think i am prob not helping her, as i also favour the right rein, and the left rein doesnt feel as 'natural' to me either.

Often the cause is rider not being straight but I suspect since your horse is 'a bit uneven', that it will be linked to this and you need to be doing strengthening and suppling exercises with her.

If every other cause has been eliminated then I would suggest the rider rides that straight line as a slight leg yield to keep her out.

What happens when you try to ride down the centre line - does she still drift left, or does it only happen when you're on the track?

thanks - i do feel im not balanced on the left rein either and shes quite sensitive to me, although i dont think i am causing her neccessarily to do it, i do feel i am prob confusing her - i feel i am sitting straight but it does feel very uncomfortable for me on the left rein.....will get instructor to try to see if i am as straight as i feel...or whether i am sitting wonky too.

hmmm good point Joosie - when down the centre line she goes straight without any falling/drifting.

In my lesson last week the instructor said to stretch my inside leg down and at the same time put weight on the outside seat bone - it worked very well for the first 25 mins then she was terrible with the drifting for the last half hr - think it could be a combination of boredom, soreness and tiredness....not to mention me prob not helping matters.

i wonder if it could be her being nappy/bored possibly during the riding lesson....i did parelli ground games for about 35 mins yesterday in the school - so lots of circles including over trotting poles, figure 8's around tyres, sideways, squeeze games.....anyway then i got on and 'schooled' her a bit - did a fair amount on the left rein, she was barely drifting yesterday, i tried very hard to stay straight on her back also.

newrider.com