Throat Operation, Wind

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Starting thread as it could be an interesting topic.
My share horse is to have a small op on his throat.
It's all done by laser under sedation and it's minor. It is just cleaning up one area of the palette that the vet suggested would be worth doing.
Anyone ever had this procedure done? I also thought the throat was a major op, so interested its all laser in this case anyway.

Have heard it mentioned - if it's the same thing, but didn't know lasers were used. Is it because he has a node or something?

I guess so and as they gallop it's a precaution.
It's interesting how much money is being spent. At the end of the day he is bread and butter and you need to look after your "tools" He isn't just some horse.

Is it similar to a tieback or something (can't remember the name)? I bet it's quite common in racehorses to remove any obstruction to the airway, even a small one, as the amount of oxygen they can take in will impact their performance. I don't personally know of any horses that have had it done though!

Yes! Joey came to me a month after an op for epiglottic entrapment and a displaced soft palate. It never affected his speed but he did sound a bit like Darth Vadar when coming back to fitness. :p

Never heard of the laser surgery but it's always good to have roaring sorted even if it is minor. Kia roars when he's unfit and being schooled to move into the bridle, he over bends himself and tucks his head right under to does it to himself really.

Be interested to hear about the procedure with a laser :)

My yard owner just had this operation done on her eventer. He apparently has always been noisy when ridden, he struggled to get air sometimes and panicked and that's why she had him operated on.

My friends horse has had it done in the past (he is a very good ex-racer who competed successfully in his youth)

I've known quite a few that had tie-back done, its common in racers, but it sounds like they are removing something rather than surgically moving it out of the way.

Could be what that article describes as hobday then (I always understood hobday and tieback to be the same thing but you live and learn :D)

newrider.com