this World Cup lark

I actually feel a bit deflated. Which surprises me as I really don't usually like football. I think I'll miss the nation's optimism and unification for once.

Bronze place play off is on Saturday night. England Vs Belgium - the other defeated semi finalists. But no-one really cares about coming third I don't think!
It is a shame we went out. I really thought we might just sneak into the final for the first time since 1966! But 32 teams start and 31 go home after losing and it's only once every 4 years. So winning the whole thing is incredibly rare for any one country. Which I think is why so many people get so excited about it!

That's the nature of the beast though, NF and I agree it is a shame. It teaches kids that winning is everything, unfortunately, despite how schools try to take away competitive spirit these days. Can you remember who came 3rd and 4th last year in Strictly, or X-Factor, or Bake Off? (I can't actually remember who won, let alone the runners up! :p) I have all my rosettes pinned on a line up high across two of my kitchen walls and I love the blue, yellow and greens just as much as the red because it was the taking part that I loved.

I didn't watch any of those programmes so can't answer that.

People remember my pony and another being naughty at show and we were nearly thrown out the ring.
But they also remember the surprise when we went into a non show class and won it.

Last edited:
There is a difference between real life and armchair sport though. I remember the winners because winning is a big deal and very exciting. Runners up are forgotten. I remember a lot of the Gold Cup and Grand National winners over the last 20 years. Could not name a 2nd placed horse. I remember awesome Gold medals won by athletes like Becky Adlington, Mo Farah, Laura Trott, Bradley Wiggins etc but no idea who came 2nd in those races. But in real life the taking part is fantastic.

newrider.com