This weeks report - please read if you are looking for a calmer

perkypinky

Nov 13, 2007
Its been a funny old week! On Tuesday we went for a de spooking session at my freinds indoor school - had a great time, she helped me with some dressage moves etc. BUT D was lame so we couldnt do an awful lot - and what we did do was in walk.
farrier out on wednesday after much worrying and he diognosed tight shoes!! he wasnt due for another couple of weeks, but after a trim and new fronts he was sound...phew!
Friday morning did some schooling, no right bend at all, and did a couple of nasty spooks and bucks resulting in a big bruise and grazing to my elbow and a knock to my confidence.
Friday afternoon remembered that i was asked to do a trial of a fairly new calmer a while back but hadnt got round to it and as it worked in 15 - 30 mins thought id have a go. the difference was amazing - not sure about the 'calming' or de spooking but he was bending like he never had before - wondered how that could be? used it again on saturday INSTANT bending and beautiful work????:confused: only did 5 mins as he was sssoooo perfect as a reward.
Sunday dressage....
I have ALWAYS had a problem with right bend - so whenever i have done dressage i have a big problem that most pre lims start with down centre line then right. He falls in off the track and wont bend and slows right down. i gave him the calmer and lunged him in the warm up with other people in there, no spooks and foot perfect - totaly unheard of!!!!
Did a nice test - although a bit lacking in impusion, and came second, with 8's for the first 3 movements - centre line, turn right ect!!! cant beliveve it!!!! only 1 point between the first 3 competitors
second test there was a lot of competition, so didnt expect to do as well - test was more forward but not as accurate (or so i thought) but still very pleased. I was amazed to come 3rd!!!! 66.4 %
i am going to ride without the calmer to see if it is indeed that that is making this dramatic difference........
I am not going to give the name of the calmer yet until i have done the trials - as i dont think it fair if it doesnt work for us, but i cannot believe what has happened, so if it is this calmer (which is relativley new out) it will be the miracle product of the century!!!

Glad to hear you and D are doing well!

I do think calmers can make a big difference if they're needed. The majority are magnesium based and/or vitamin B based so if they are deficient they will work and if they're not it won't :)

Harvey has a calmer now, it helps him focus a lot and stops him being a bit 'stressy' although he isn't silly or stupid he does sometimes lack focus which the calmer seems to help with.

Hi Sarah....
hope all is going ok with new boy Harvey!
this calmer isnt magnesium based. You've hit the nail on the head by saying 'focused' thats the word i would use to discribe how he feels, not 'calmer' or 'non spooky'
cant wait to try him without it - but due to the hot weather i dont know when it will be.....

Hi Sarah....
hope all is going ok with new boy Harvey!
this calmer isnt magnesium based. You've hit the nail on the head by saying 'focused' thats the word i would use to discribe how he feels, not 'calmer' or 'non spooky'
cant wait to try him without it - but due to the hot weather i dont know when it will be.....

Go on you've got to say what it is now then!! :p:D

If it isn't magnesium based I can guarantee it's probably vitamin based and thats probably a vit B complex.

If it's the calmer you mentioned before on one of my threads the active ingredient is derived from vit B ;)

Go on what is it what is it???!!

The active ingredient I was trying to remember was L-Tryptophan an amino acid that I *think* is associated with vit B

Last edited:
im sorry - i am going to keep you all in suspenders till ive ridden without it!
i promise it will be within the next couple of days.

*runs off to dodge the angry responses*

ok ok OK OK!!!!

ITS PROKALM

I wanted to keep it quiet for a while as i been asked by them to trial it, if it didnt work for me i felt it unfair to diss them on a forum as it may work for other people.

I will let you all know what happens when i dont use it. I cant quite believe the instant success in his way of going - i promise you that i have never had much sucess with his right bend - maybe during a lesson after sweating my b**ls off and having RI going on and on. I was so surprised how instantly he yielded and just did it - surely my riding cant have just 'clicked' like that (maybe it has???) we'll see. But there also was the lunge in the warm up - i ma banned from riding him in there by my RI as he is so bad in there. that is why i have to lunge for a competion. he was so perfect yesterday, just perfect! surely that cant be a coincedence???

x

Thankyou. I think most people understand that calmers work for some and not for others so no-one would think the less of them, it is a give it a try type of thing. I've never heard of it - what does it retail at?

Hold on mateys!!! let me do the rest of the trial before you rush and buy it. It may have been a fluke - thats another one of the reasons i didnt want to name it yet. I havent finished yet and i dont want you to waste your money on this first bit of the trial - can youwait till the end of the week my lovelies?
x

newrider.com